Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

1. SQ - Obviously for an Ascend product that has to be #1 and that is what the subs you worked on during your M&K are/were known for.
    2. Size - In my HT it doesn't matter much but for the 2 channel in the living room to go 2.1 it does. I would think it would give you an advantage over the competition too.
    3. Output
    4. Deep Bass
    5. Finish - Again in the HT not that important in the living room quite important. Also a marketing thing. Maybe a choice of finishes?

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas View Post
    I have a Denon 3805, are the set-up capabilities different than what the other poster was mentioning with a sub?
    Does the 3505 have Audessey? If not, then it does not have auto EQ....it has auto setup.

Auto setup sets the distance and levels. Auto EQ would attempt to equalize the frequency response.
    -curtis

Thumbs up Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

#1) Sound Quality

#2) Deep bass (you know, the 20Hz-and-under club)

#3) Volume

#4) Finish quality

#5) Size

Reasoning:
    I mainly want accurate reproduction of music. Home theater is a close second, hence the deep bass and volume. I have to get approval from the wife, so finish quality is very important as well. Size is not too much of a concern if the finish quality is nice.

I think we all put "finish" last pretty much, but at the same time i know it's much easier to get my pb13ultra to be accepted by my wife with a piano black finish than some dull black box.

And down deep we all want it to look impressive on some level.

Does the 3505 have Audessey? If not, then it does not have auto EQ....it has auto setup.

Auto setup sets the distance and levels. Auto EQ would attempt to equalize the frequency response.

I don't think it has Audessey, but it does have an auto/manual EQ. I guess it really isn't an option now, lets wait for Dave to release the sub first.
    Thanks for the info Curtis.

Jim

Dave, as a long time Ascend owner and fan, I believe you'll get the SQ right on the money no matter what other parameters you focus on as "must haves" for this sub, so I don't think SQ is even rankable on the list. That being said, I would prefer:

1. Deep bass capability.
    2. Size. Small and sealed would be great.
    3. Output. This isn't nearly as important as the first two, as you can always use multiples.
    4. Finish. They're all black with the lights down.

I would really love a sealed sub from Ascend, as those of us with well constructed, dedicated spaces would be able to mate the roll off with room gain. Add about four units, and you have all the output you would need down to the single digit frequency range for the movie lovers.
    - EVH III

Dave,

Any reason "features" is not on your list?? What I mean is dials and buttons to help zero in the sub to the room it's in. God knows you'll make a good sub, but unless you invented the "Fabrikant-o-matic 8000" (a device that flattens SPL levels in any room automatically, from 1-22000Hz), rooms are going to throw any sub off kilter.

I'd love to hear your take on the extra technology companies like SVS throw into their amps.

Okay, I'm replying without looking at anyone else's

As I see it, there are several options here:

1:
    - Sound Quality
    - Output capabilities
    - Finish quality
    - Size
    - Deep bass

or

2:
    - Sound Quality
    - Deep bass
    - Output capabilities
    - Finish quality
    - Size

or

3:
    - All (this means, cost no object, but within reason...think JL Audio F-series, maybe?)

Sound quality- is number one - no question. That's an ascend hallmark, and should always be so, regardless of product.

Output - is a tough one - especially once you factor in cost and the ability of the buyer to double up on a pair. I think it'd be important to factor in how much a Sierra LCR owner would typically pony up for subs. A single may be a great option for most owners, and if all the other attributes are good enough, then a pair would satisfy the Output requirement some may have.

Deep Bass - I don't even know where to begin on this hype-boon-doggle. I loved my VTF-3HO, but I'm using my UFW-10 as a stand-in, and I'm surprised at how effective it is at reasonable volumes. I think we as a community may over-hype the needs for Deep Bass. That said, I've *Very* intrigued by Hsu's new offering's claims of ~10Hz significant output. While such pursuits may not lead to the benefit we think they do (per cost per hz, really), such bragging rights probably do move product.

Finish Quality - This is very difficult, because I'm the kind of person to want cake and it eat it for every meal, whenever I want. I used to not care about sub looks, but as I've grown as a hobbyist - I've come to realize it does matter to myself and to many. Especially considering what the Sierra's look like, I don't think I could go back to a non-furniture grade. That said, the 170 / 340 owners might appreciate less cost put towards finish quality.

Size - What do you mean, size matters?? In all seriousness, this is probably a catch-22. I think as size goes up, all around finish quality isn't as much of a factor, because a 30" tall piano black box is just a 30" tall fingerprint magnet. For a larger sub, I think something faux, or maybe the 170 / 340 matte black would work, but maybe try an option like an inlaid glass top to class it up.

Like I said, this is tough. I'm going to have to think more and refine my thoughts.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 06-12-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    Jon O.

Dave,

After I posted the above thoughts - I stepped back and thought to myself, "what would I buy...with my money?"

While I thought a lot about what would sell subs to other people in my post above, I didn't think about myself as much.

So, right now I am in the sub market (in a leisurely fasion), using that UFW as a stand in, after my lovely VTF-3HO Turbo. I'm considering paying for one to two subs, and so far, the top of my list is a JL Audio Sub (if they were cheaper), or maybe Hsu's new unit, which intrigues me based on claims of deep bass, finish, and size, (not in any order) while it should have their great SQ, and excellent output. It's hard to put that in a linear list, but I hope by showing you the kind of units I'm considering, it may help.

FWIW, I bought a new car, so I'm not buying for awhile. I'm very curious what you have in the works.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 06-12-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    Jon O.