Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

1. Size
    2. Ability to "hide".
    3. Output

I can not wait much longer before getting an SVS or an HSU sub to match with my Sierras. Is there any hope in sight in the near future for Ascend to give me a third option?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Weiner View Post
    I can not wait much longer before getting an SVS or an HSU sub to match with my Sierras. Is there any hope in sight in the near future for Ascend to give me a third option?
    if you have the money, there are other options too. REL supposedly makes fantastic subs for music, check out their T series; and I heard good things about av123's MFW-15

Hi Guys,

Please follow this link
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Guys,

Please follow this link
    WOW!!!!
    The F12 SE is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
    It's amazing! GREAT NEWS DAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by sbeveraggi View Post
    WOW!!!!
    The F12 SE is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
    It's amazing! GREAT NEWS DAVE!
    I think the F12 SE is the perfect compliment to the Sierra-1. I have gone sub-less for over a year (just Sierra-1) but this sub has earned a permanent place in my home. Everything about it is just so *right*.
    Last edited by davef; 10-30-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I think the F12 SE is the perfect compliment to the Sierra-1. I have gone sub-less for over a year (just Sierrra-1) but this sub has earned a permanent place in my home. Everything about it is just so *right*.
    Is there any 'rule of thumb' about what room size would be appropriate for which sub?

Smart! Before I went with the SVS, I seriously considered building a DIY Rhythmik sub just like the F12 SE. Since I was doing all the home theater construction myself and could buy the PB12-NSD for what it would cost to build the Rhythmik, I took the path of less resistance.

I think you'll meet with great success based on the research I did. The price is very reasonable. Ikka over on Home Theater Shack tested a DIY 12" and the specs look great.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    Is there any 'rule of thumb' about what room size would be appropriate for which sub?
    While we wait for Dave to respond, I'll share what I read while looking for subs.

The Rythmik 15" will go 3db louder before distortion compared to the 12". From what I understand, that is perceptibly louder and roughly equivalent to running two 12's in a room.

I'm running a 12" (SVS PB-12 NSD) in a moderately sized enclosed room, 16x20x9. The 12" has no problem with movies at the occasional very loud (read show off) levels. For every day listening/viewing, it's more than enough. I think a 15" would be loafing in my HT. I actually had the 12" in a much larger space and it sounded fine, but if I were to buy a sub for that area (>20x30x20h), I'd get a 15".

Before getting the 12", I had an old Infinity 10" servo that did great in any normal (10x12) to moderate (16x20) sized room.

Keep in mind I don't listen at bone crushing levels. Also, I know Dave will give a far better response from a technical point of view.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    While we wait for Dave to respond, I'll share what I read while looking for subs.

The Rythmik 15" will go 3db louder before distortion compared to the 12". From what I understand, that is perceptibly louder and roughly equivalent to running two 12's in a room.

I'm running a 12" (SVS PB-12 NSD) in a moderately sized enclosed room, 16x20x9. The 12" has no problem with movies at the occasional very loud (read show off) levels. For every day listening/viewing, it's more than enough. I think a 15" would be loafing in my HT. I actually had the 12" in a much larger space and it sounded fine, but if I were to buy a sub for that area (>20x30x20h), I'd get a 15".

Before getting the 12", I had an old Infinity 10" servo that did great in any normal (10x12) to moderate (16x20) sized room.

Keep in mind I don't listen at bone crushing levels. Also, I know Dave will give a far better response from a technical point of view.

Doug
    OK, thanks, Doug; that pretty much answers my question. Your room is ~ 2900 cu ft, and mine is only ~ 2200. I also have a SVS PB10 ISD, and it seems completely adequate. Thus it seems clear that the smallest Rythmyk would be completely adequate--IF I decide to do an 'upgrade'. (Would this be an significant upgrade to the SVS?)