Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No -- sorry, definitely NOT out of line at all. Believe me, I am fighting the desire to make a recommendation to you and everyone else following this. If not for a few issues that have not yet been worked out, you and many others would have a PM or email from me already...

If my post was off base, I apologize. I have a very sick family member who has been in the hospital for the past few weeks, having contracted a serious E-Coli infection from what was supposed to be a simple surgery -- been popping some Xanax for the past few days and while it is keeping my anxiety level down, my thought process is a bit interrupted temporarily Sorry....
    what are you doing hanging around the forums?! heh, anyway I do hope everything is all alright, unfortunately sometimes the most over or underlooked things come up in health.
    as for the wait, there is no rush for good quality, I can be patient! :P

take it easy!

Sorry to hear about your family member. I hope everything turns out ok.

Thanks for the warm wishes and your understanding... This has been an on going issue for a long time now (my father). http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ghlight=raffle
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

As in the past, our thoughts are with you and your family Dave. My dad was diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma this year and just finished six weeks of intense radiation so I definitely feel a solidarity with all who have gone through this and the complications that come along with it. I've been taking Xanax and Lunesta to sleep myself this week because my own surgery is Thursday. In my case though, it is fixing an inherited problem that has grown worse over the last four years affecting what I am able to eat and how hard it is to eat it. I'll be on a liquid diet for 4 to six weeks, but after that should be able to eat like a normal person without pain for the first time in years. After watching my father this year and hearing the stories of friends and families close to me going through things that are so much harder, I feel that I am really pretty darn lucky.

Strength and positive thoughts to you and all of yours Dave.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blindcat7 View Post
    In my case though, it is fixing an inherited problem that has grown worse over the last four years affecting what I am able to eat and how hard it is to eat it. I'll be on a liquid diet for 4 to six weeks, but after that should be able to eat like a normal person without pain for the first time in years.
    Chris
    Chris,

I'm wishing for total success with your surgery!

Since you're on a liquid diet, I'll be glad to send you my favorite recipe for pureed broccoli!

Doug

Thanks Doug,

At this point, I'll take any recipes for smoothies/purees/etc that can supplement the Ensure shakes that I have several cases of in the pantry. This surgery involves the removal of my natural teeth, but since my condition undermined their development before they even came in during childhood, this is more of a relief than a burden. Add this relief to the effects of the surgery allowing my lower jaw to return to working normally without locking up and stiffening regularly and I am really looking forward to this holiday season. Coincidentally enough, the expected date for me to be back to a truly normal diet comes just prior to or after Halloween. Regardless of before or after I am already planning a massive horror flick fest with tons of treats I have been forced to avoid. I already have a case of Big Hunk candy bars waiting, and lest people think I am going to do myself in with junk food, I am also planning on indulging in much of my favorite vegetable Lo Mein with lemon sauce from Yee's Oriental Express and the first true loaded salad I have eaten in years without the need to shred the veggies. I am a lacto ovo vegetarian due to allergies, so not being able to eat whole veggies has been a real burden. I have really been more of a pizzatarian for some time now because I like pizza and it has been easy to eat.

Between me getting this fixed and the success (knock on wood) of my dad's radiation therapy, my family is planning on one heck of a holiday celebration this year. This year has really taught us to make the most of every moment we are granted and that one can find joy and closeness even in the toughest times. It may sound sappy, but friends and family really are the most important part of life. When my dad was getting his tumor removed at M.D. Anderson in Houston, old friends that we had been in touch with very little stepped up to help, when he had his radiation in Albuquerque, a cousin that we had had little contact with for over ten years offered my parents her house to stay in. That same cousin is allowing me and the family taking me up there for my surgery a place to stay and some old college friends are having dinner with me to distract me tomorrow night and have offered any help we need to get me to and from surgery and home safely. It is just amazing how people step up, even an online forum family who never fail to offer moral support and positive thoughts that I truly believe can make a difference.

Thanks and again extra thoughts and prayers for Dave F and family as they deal with their own health issues and the accompanying stresses,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Chris,

I'm wishing for total success with your surgery!

Since you're on a liquid diet, I'll be glad to send you my favorite recipe for pureed broccoli!

Doug

Chris,

I am so sorry to hear this!!!

Hoping all will go well for both you and your father. If you ever want to talk about things, please, give me a call or send me an email. Regrettably, dealing with a close family member fighting cancer has become a big part of my life - going on 6 yrs now. Remember to question the doctors and seek second opinions. Doctors will not consider your father's (or your family's) emotions. They will not allow themselves to become emotionally attached.

Be careful of that liquid diet. Plan well for the "feast" afterward but remember your stomach will shrink so while you might plan now to chow down afterward, you will never be able to consumer all that you expect to. Been a first hand witness to this, twice no less -- and it can get messy

I would be curious at what hospital your father was treated, please send me a PM when you have a sec.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So I wanted a sub to hold me over until I can make up my mind with a real nice purchase, and over at avsforum I was recommended a yamaha 10" budget sub, yst-sw315 to be exact. I did a bit of research and ended up purchasing it a few weeks later, 200$ at my door; funny enough, this was a great find as this thing is very suitable for my setup. The sound blends great with my 170se's in music that I can't believe I was aiming so high for so long when the whole time I could have been enjoying this! In movies it is astounding, very subtle but alive; definitely adds flavor to the experience but does not overpower it. It certainly is not a 15" highend, but is not what I expected for such a low price, it can get down low and fill my room with ease. I expected much, much worse in quality-- but am happy to find out the opposite. If you're in the market for a temp. sub this may be the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    So I wanted a sub to hold me over until I can make up my mind with a real nice purchase, and over at avsforum I was recommended a yamaha 10" budget sub, yst-sw315 to be exact. I did a bit of research and ended up purchasing it a few weeks later, 200$ at my door;---snip---
    Glad the Yamaha's working out for you.

I've heard good things about the BIC H-100 as a budget priced sub for just a little more money. I believe they can be had for around $250 or so including shipping on eBay.

If it isn't already too late to post an opinion regarding the upcoming Ascend Subwoofer, my preferences are:

1) Sound Quality ("musical" and "tight" are my priorities)
    2) Size (15x15x15 would be great)
    3) Finish quality (Piano Black to match the beautiful Sierras)
    4) Deep Bass (doesn't need to go lower than 20hz)
    5) Output Capabilities (just add more subs if you want to get evicted!)

Something that beats the performance of the SVS SB12+ or Rythmik DS12 in a similar package for <$1000 would be fantastic!
    Last edited by sbeveraggi; 10-16-2008 at 05:01 PM.