Thread: Shiva-X DIY subwoofer

Default Shiva-X DIY subwoofer

I've been thinking of building a new sub to replace my old SVS CS 25-31. I'm running CMT-340SE for L-C-R and HTM-200 for surrounds.

The SVS doesn't match well with these speakers, it's too muddy.

I've been doing some research and the Shiva-X in a 4.3 ft ported enclosure looks like it has really good numbers and about the size and cost I need.

Does anyone know how this would match up with Ascends? Everything I seem to be finding online just talks about DIY subs in terms of output and not sound quality.

Thanks!

Jon

Default Re: Shiva-X DIY subwoofer

I thought those were discontinued? Adire is gone isn't it?

Anyhow, I went the DIY route with a Rythmik Audio DS12 kit in a 2cu.ft. sealed box. It is very tight, musical and clean down to 14hz. It blends seamlessly with my Sierra-1's. It has decent punch for movies as well, but you might want 2 for higher output. I had an enclosure built by RAW Acoustics in B.C. and just installed the driver and amp. I see Rythmik now offers finished cabinets for the kit.

Or, you could wait for Dave to announce his new sub
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

These are the shiva-x from http://www.diycable.com/ but they use the Adire technology.

I was looking at the Rythmik but I don't want to get a new amp right now and the shiva-x is on sale for 135.00 a driver.

I love Dave and Ascend but I'm sure it's going to cost more than the $135.00 driver and some MDF :-)

I'm looking for an in-expensive upgrade but maybe I could sell my SVS and amp for about half the cost of the Rythmik 15...

Hi Jon,

What is the cubic volume of your room?

I do not have any experience with the Shiva-X driver but I do like the idea of a sealed subwoofer with our products (Rythmik, for example).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave! Love your speakers

Here is a floorplan of my house.

I think I've nixed the idea of a ported 12 and have now been looking at the Tempest-x 15 into a 7 foot sealed enclosure with 100% fill per the tempest-x pdf. I'll be getting a 500 watt amp to power this.

This would cost approx $100.00 less than a Rythmik servo kit (so not a lot of price difference)

The thing I'm a little worried about with the Rythmik is 95% of my system is Home Theater use with 5% for music and of that 5% 4.5% is background music with dinner or when company is over, it's not for critical listening. It seems the Rythmik is billed as a lower output more musical sub and by the small enclosure they specify it doesn't seem as if it would dig down very low.

Do you think a sealed Rythmik 15 would get me enough Ummph?

Edited to add in the information from the tempest-x pdf. This is my best cut and paste/msword
    Last edited by jsotelo; 10-10-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsotelo View Post
    Hi Dave! Love your speakers

The thing I'm a little worried about with the Rythmik is 95% of my system is Home Theater use with 5% for music and of that 5% 4.5% is background music with dinner or when company is over, it's not for critical listening. It seems the Rythmik is billed as a lower output more musical sub and by the small enclosure they specify it doesn't seem as if it would dig down very low.

Do you think a sealed Rythmik 15 would get me enough Ummph?
    Enclosure size does not determine the bass extension of a subwoofer. Depending on your choice of settings, the Rythmik subs can be set to for a flat response to 20Hz or even lower. They won't deliver huge amounts of output at this frequencies compared to larger ported subwoofers, but the bass is cleaner and tighter.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Enclosure size does not determine the bass extension of a subwoofer. Depending on your choice of settings, the Rythmik subs can be set to for a flat response to 20Hz or even lower. They won't deliver huge amounts of output at this frequencies compared to larger ported subwoofers, but the bass is cleaner and tighter.
    Sounds like someone has been playing with sealed servo designs.

What's that word I was looking for the other day?

Oh yeah, foreshadowing...

Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    What's that word I was looking for the other day?

Oh yeah, foreshadowing...

lol

Jon,
    I think your subplacement is not ideal. it's common to place a sub near/behind the couch for impact. I think corner loading from the front stage is wiser, but with the svs you could probably place it center (maybe behind the tv) and receive much cleaner output. what kind of avr do you have, maybe it can tame the muddyness with a calibration?
    Last edited by scape; 10-13-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Placement is very important, when I built my Rythmik DS12, it took me all night to find the best placement for it, I was using REW, running sweeps all night to find it, and the best location was not corner loaded.