Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my 340se (The Agony and the Ecstasy)

Default Got my 340se (The Agony and the Ecstasy)

I actually set out to buy the Sierra-1 in PB, but they were not in stock. I was a little disappointed, but after thinking about it, decided this was the perfect opportunity to try out the 340se, eliminating the after thoughts about whether the 340se would have served my need.

Anyway, I placed my order on Friday 5/2/08, and on Monday 5/5 received an email indicating that my speakers would arrive 5/9! I figured it would take at least 1 week before my order would arrive on the East Coast.

I decided to celebrate the arrival of my new speakers by taking the day off. After all, it was Mother's Day weekend, and a day off would give me the opportunity to clean around the house and prepare some treats for my wife for the weekend.

Friday morning, I checked the UPS tracking page and saw the status of my shipment was "Out For Delivery". Hurray. I was very excited to have these new speakers, and I made sure not to leave the house.

... 8:00 p.m. and the status still reads "Out For Delivery". A bit aggravated, I call UPS to find out how late they deliver. The Customer Service Rep. says that my packages are "Out For Delivery" (I KNOW THAT), but that the drivers deliver up until 8:30!!! Now I'm really concerned. You see, on more than one occasion, UPS has delivered my packages to the wrong house. Let's see,... my LCD TV, my 18" alloy wheels are the two that immediately come to mind.

So, 8:30 rolls around, and no UPS. I check the status on the Tracking page and the message reads "Attempted to deliver, no one available for signature, will make 2nd attempt". ^%$&***- &#*$&!!! I have been home all day. I am so PISSED!!!

I call UPS, and I'm told by another representative "the driver tried to deliver but no one was available for signature". I say, "Yeah, deliver to the wrong house, AGAIN". She says "I'm sorry, but they are done delivering for the day, and do not deliver on Saturday and that depot will be closed". So, I'll have to wait until Monday.

I pull myself together, and calmly ask to speak to a supervisor. Waiting another 10 minutes, the supervisor ask me three times if the driver left a yellow note on my door. I tell him three times, that the driver never came to my door! Now I'm almost shaking angry. He puts me on hold as he contacts the local depot. A representative from the local depot says, "The driver attempted to deliver, but no one was at home". I tell her, he did not come to my house, and that this has happened more than one time. She says, "well, we are closed tomorrow, but if you can get here before 9:00 p.m. (it's 8:43 p.m. at that time) you can pick up your packages. I say, I'll be there.

The UPS Depot is roughly 15 minutes away (if traffic is not bad). Fortunately, it's night time, and the MD/DC traffic has subsided. Angry, frustrated, and tired, I hop in my car and tear out of the neighborhood. I can hear the tires chirp in 2nd gear.

I arrive at the UPS depot. The main gates are closed, but I can see a line out the door and a side gate open. It's 8:58 p.m. I made it on time. This is the only time I remember appreciating the fact that I have to get in line to wait. Inside, I see 2 boxes that say Ascend Acoustics. My blood pressure is starting to subside.

Oh yeah, the 340se's are nice. I'll post about that later.

I may still order the Sierra's, though, I'm going to have to do something about UPS. They'll hear from me on Monday.

Default Re: Got my 340se (The Agony and the Ecstasy)

give us a review That sucks man i know how frustrating ups can make you they have done that to me on occasion as well. Glad you got them though. Im still debating on what to buy so you may help me save some money if the 340's are what im looking for.

I see you got struck with "speaker flu". I'm out with it today. My subwoofer is out for delivery.

Doug

Default Re: UPS

They do that to me all the time. I finally decided to save them a trip up my gravel road, and made an arrangement to pick up my packages at UPS. They seem to assume that everyone who uses UPS is so wealthy that they don't have to work for a living!
    Now, when I expect a package, I call ahead and arrange for them to hold for me.
    Pegleg
    Last edited by pegleg; 05-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: UPS

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
    They do that to me all the time. I finally decided to save them a trip up my gravel road, and made an arrangement to pick up my packages at UPS. They seem to assume that everyone who uses UPS is so wealthy that they don't have to work for a living!
    No, when I expect a package, I call ahead and arrange for them to hold for me.
    Pegleg
    That's not a bad idea.

So sorry to read about your UPS experience!

So much has to do with the individual drivers --- I definitely recommend logging a complaint. They do actually discuss these complaints with the drivers

Hope you are enjoying the 340 SE!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    So sorry to read about your UPS experience!

So much has to do with the individual drivers --- I definitely recommend logging a complaint. They do actually discuss these complaints with the drivers

Hope you are enjoying the 340 SE!
    I did file a complaint, and the supervisor says that she will discuss with the
    driver(s).

The 340se's are impressive. I will submit my impressions soon.

Default It's Contagious

My sub was scheduled to come Friday, but ended up in Alabama. It was rescheduled for Monday delivery. I've been checking the web site all day and there's been no status update. It's now 6:15 pm. I don't think he'll be coming.

Now, best case, it will go out for delivery tomorrow. We won't be here. That means I'll have to pick up Wednesday. The problem is the shipping weight is 100+ pounds. I'll have to scare up some help to get it out of the van. I live in the sticks so I can't just walk next door.

Argghh!

Doug

Default Re: It's Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    My sub was scheduled to come Friday, but ended up in Alabama. It was rescheduled for Monday delivery. I've been checking the web site all day and there's been no status update. It's now 6:15 pm. I don't think he'll be coming.

Now, best case, it will go out for delivery tomorrow. We won't be here. That means I'll have to pick up Wednesday. The problem is the shipping weight is 100+ pounds. I'll have to scare up some help to get it out of the van. I live in the sticks so I can't just walk next door.

Argghh!

Doug
    I feel your pain! I was told that UPS delivers up until 8:30. I hope things work out for you.

What sub did you buy?

Default Re: It's Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    I feel your pain! I was told that UPS delivers up until 8:30. I hope things work out for you.

What sub did you buy?
    Yes! Brown rolled up @6:45. I'm at the end of the route. He was nice enough to help me carry it in.

I bought a SVS PB12-NSD. Since the HT is still being built, I've got it upstairs. It's not a fair test, since upstairs is an open space 30wx40dx22h. I've fiddled with it a little. I haven't run any sweeps, just a tune with my ears. It sounds more musical than my 20 year old Infinity SV10, but I'm surprised how good that little sub was. I'm sorry it gave up the ghost.

I just adjusted crossover to 60 hz and it likes that a lot better with my old Boston CR9 mains. I've also fiddle with phase. Yes, 60 hz made a huge difference! Bass drum is now very tight. Upright bass sounds better too.

My Ascends get here Wednesday. Hope UPS runs late again, that means I'll be home.

Doug