Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple TV users? Netflix?

Default Apple TV users? Netflix?

I was just wondering if anyone here uses Apple TV, and your thoughts.

Netflix/Roku just announced this device. The cost is incredible, and viewing is unlimited as long as you have an unlimited Netflix account(which start at $8.99/mo).

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Audio and video quality are variable depending on internet speeds with the Netflix box. With Apple TV, since the content is downloaded and not streamed, you always get the same high quality.

What do you guys think?
    -curtis

Default Re: Apple TV users? Netflix?

oops...forgot the link....

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

and I added it to the first post.
    -curtis

Did some more research....

Until they start streaming HD, the audio is only stereo.
    -curtis

I beleive the vid quality of AppTV was subpar, and hence failed miserably at launch.

Have they released a better versin yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    I beleive the vid quality of AppTV was subpar, and hence failed miserably at launch.

Have they released a better versin yet?
    I have not read that. AppleTV also offers HD content.

I have played with the interface at the local Apple Store, but I have not actually seen content.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

Audio and video quality are variable depending on internet speeds with the Netflix box.
    Curtis, did you read this somewhere? I assumed the netflix stuff was downloaded and then played. In fact, I figured that was part of the reason for putting the watch now movies on the queue - so that it could download "overnight" so to speak.

Also, I believe a good number of the AppleTV movies are stereo as well - the exception being *some* HD movies are 5.1.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
    Curtis, did you read this somewhere? I assumed the netflix stuff was downloaded and then played. In fact, I figured that was part of the reason for putting the watch now movies on the queue - so that it could download "overnight" so to speak.

Also, I believe a good number of the AppleTV movies are stereo as well - the exception being *some* HD movies are 5.1.

Mitch
    Yup.....
    http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/fr...ked-questions/

Unlike AppleTV, the unit has no storage, just a 64mb buffer.
    -curtis

Interesting. The lack of a hard drive or massively larger buffer could be a real problem. I look forward to reading some reviews.

Mitch

I don't have an ATV but have thought about one. I think some of the earlier issues were software related and have be fixed with version update. Could use it to stream music too obviously if you had one. I do have a roku wireless streaming device for music I'm not using at the moment but it worked well when I was using it and apparently they are making the netflix hardware. The part that would nix it for me would be the minimum recommended connection speed of 1.5 m. I get that now but it could be close at times. The ATV's can be had for around 199.00 so not that much more. But if you have the ultrafast internet connection it could be ok. Will have to wait for some to take the plunge and get first hand results.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I have not read that. AppleTV also offers HD content.

I have played with the interface at the local Apple Store, but I have not actually seen content.
    Last I checked, the HD was low quality. In the beginning even the SD was horrible.