Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1?

Default Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1?

Well...

Thanks to HSU being out of stock on their VTF2 MK3 I've had a wonderful opportunity to entertain a pre-order upgraditus. It starts out: If I can't get a sub for what may turn out to be who knows how long, well then, what was that about the Sierra's extended and punchier bass...? The more I looked deeper into the speaker I couldn't afford, the more I found I couldn't afford not to look into it. What remains to end my reevaluation comes down to this...

The question:

Which of these two choices would provide the best low to middle volume performance both in stereo, and as centers? - Any way you'd care to approach it: though weight, intelligibility, nuance, imaging and the ability to sound "in the room" natural would be some obvious aspects that I could think of.

1. CMT-340 left, right, center
    2. Sierra-1 left, right, center

I'm putting this out on behalf of those who prefer or expect to face volume restrictions. In my case my wife and I always do our movie watching together but she cannot stand to listen to movies run too loudly. When we listen to 2-channel music it's usually at moderate, often even at background levels. Man! We're O-L-D!

I've read about the low level performance of the Sierra in Sean Fowler's AffordableAudio.org review (see excerpt below.)

On the other hand I'm still looking to come across anything about the 340's at low volume. Anyone?

So, just based on hardware, it's more refined components vs. pretty darn refined components with double woofers. Till DaveF weighs in on the physics of this, what are your experiences?

I should add on a related level how DaveF observed that while his Sierra's were playing loudly he found himself able to carry on a normal conversation! Hm, might this be a cure for my wife's (and sometimes my own) avoidance of the joy of loud? There could be those occasions, even for the very very very old...

From AffordableAudio:

"I am a hopeless romantic (some just say I’m hopeless) that enjoys softer late night listening sessions - meaning that my ears tend to perk in the direction of components that are able to render great low level resolution. The Sierra 1’s do not disappoint in this regard, and while they do lose an ever so slight bit of sparkle on top – they still deliver all the goods that leave me content and in my chair. Even at whisper volumes, Diana Krall’s “Live in Paris” sounded expansive and alive. Nirvana’s “Un-plugged” album retained its atmosphere and edge." - Sean Fowler
    Last edited by VanJerry; 05-21-2008 at 04:39 AM.
    - VanJerry

Default Re: Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1?

First, low volume performance of the entire Ascend line is excellent, 170SE, 340SE, and Sierra.....I have yet to hear the 200SE, but would expect the same. Excellent performance at all volume levels is something that I think Ascend/DaveF strives for.

That said, the Sierra would perform best in that range, as it would in its overall operating range.

If sitting down and listening to music is important to you, then I think the Sierras are the way to go. In fact, I think most of us here have ended up listening to more music than we thought we would after getting our Ascends.

If the room is going to be used for mostly HT, then my choice would be to save a bit and go the 340SE route. You would still have an excellent music setup.

It is a tough decision to begin with, and even tougher when you can not experience the difference in person.
    -curtis

Thank you Curtis,

Hearing that DaveF institutes excellent low volume performance for the entire line - well, that just provides yet another measure of the kind of sincerity of purpose that attracts me to choose an Ascend: You can't go wrong - it just remains to be determined how much to go right.
    - VanJerry

Quote Originally Posted by VanJerry View Post
    I'm putting this out on behalf of those who prefer or expect to face volume restrictions. In my case my wife and I always do our movie watching together but she cannot stand to listen to movies run too loudly. When we listen to 2-channel music it's usually at moderate, often even at background levels. Man! We're O-L-D!

I've read about the low level performance of the Sierra in Sean Fowler's AffordableAudio.org review (see excerpt below.)

From AffordableAudio:

"I am a hopeless romantic (some just say I’m hopeless) that enjoys softer late night listening sessions - meaning that my ears tend to perk in the direction of components that are able to render great low level resolution. The Sierra 1’s do not disappoint in this regard, and while they do lose an ever so slight bit of sparkle on top – they still deliver all the goods that leave me content and in my chair. Even at whisper volumes, Diana Krall’s “Live in Paris” sounded expansive and alive. Nirvana’s “Un-plugged” album retained its atmosphere and edge." - Sean Fowler
    I think that quote is quite good for listening to lower volumes.

My wife also did not like to listen to loud movies. Often, when watching movies she would ask me to turn it down because it hurt her ears. I find with the upgrade to Sierra's, that she does not complain about the loudness. I too find that I can listen to music and movies louder. I'm sure Dave could explain the why's better than I.

Michael

Thanks MichaelG,

Wow, it dawns on me DaveF's created a speaker for our times:

• Romantically delivers the goods even at whisper quiet.
    • Restores man's primeval access to play it loud with approval.

In an increasingly stressed out, crowded, polarized world sounds like Sierra's possess best of everything.

This will save ears.

This will save evictions!

This will revitalize marriages!!

...This may bring peace to the world...

DaveF for President! (......oh he is president?)
    - VanJerry

Quote Originally Posted by VanJerry View Post
    Thank you Curtis,

Hearing that DaveF institutes excellent low volume performance for the entire line - well, that just provides yet another measure of the kind of sincerity of purpose that attracts me to choose an Ascend: You can't go wrong - it just remains to be determined how much to go right.
    Low level listening is one of the factors that I find so enjoyable with the Sierra 1's.
    They are capable of reproducing full sound at very low levels. Other speakers I have owned tended to sound a bit tinny and lifeless until you cranked them up a bit. BTW I am in Chilliwack B.C. so we are almost neighbors.

I thought I heard a nice sound on some Easterly winds.

Quote Originally Posted by guard52 View Post
    Low level listening is one of the factors that I find so enjoyable with the Sierra 1's.
    They are capable of reproducing full sound at very low levels. Other speakers I have owned tended to sound a bit tinny and lifeless until you cranked them up a bit.
    ...Mostly the best I've read about or heard for myself were a few speakers that didn't need to be played loud to sound satisfying. I think I've only heard of a couple of speakers that could do that at low levels. Here's a speaker that exceeds my wildest expectations and reproduces full sound at very low levels. Even among those who don't need it to, this must be a real measure of exceptional design and execution that lends confidence about the performance at all levels.

When I think about it, it's remarkable. Here appears to be a speaker that absolutely frees the listener to hear it exactly the way they wish! Soft, it will satisfy. Loud, it won't irritate. Sub or no sub... And you can sit pretty much where you please.

Thanks guard52.
    - VanJerry

Call me crazy but I consider the sierras to be a much better speaker at high volumes than low...

Quote Originally Posted by zkaudio View Post
    Call me crazy but I consider the sierras to be a much better speaker at high volumes than low...
    Not crazy at all...I think they are great at lower volumes, but I would much rather crank them up.
    -curtis

That's cool, zkaudio. I'm not looking for a freak of a loudspeaker that only sounds better down low.

From user posts it's clear the Ascends are all great LOUD. It just happens they are pretty talented in my direction too and I'd like to confirm which of these two in particular does that trick best.
    - VanJerry