Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: onkyo 805

Default onkyo 805

Anybody have any overheating issues with the 805 or lip syncing issues? thats the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger i dont know how common it is. To me it looks like one of the best for the money but if its gonna overheat its not worth it. I have plenty of room for it all around so space and airflow wont be a problem.

Default Re: onkyo 805

I'd also be interested to know how the 805 compares in sound quality to the panasonic xr55, my current receiver.

Have you considered the just released Onkyo TX-SR606? You may also want to wait for the 806 to see what enhancements it may have.

Doug

Doug,

What makes the 805 so attractive is the $599 price (includes shipping) at Amazon right now. I'm sure the 806 will be close to double that when it comes out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam AV View Post
    Doug,

What makes the 805 so attractive is the $599 price (includes shipping) at Amazon right now. I'm sure the 806 will be close to double that when it comes out.....
    Sam,
    It sounds like we're in similar circumstances. I have a nice NAD receiver, but it's pre-HDMI. My understanding is that copy protection does not allow BD output through componant, which makes HDMI necessary. I was intrigued by the Panny SA-XR57 and since Panasonic is getting out of the receiver business and discontinued it, I picked one up. I thought I could always use it in another location. I like it, but 1 HDMI is constraining. So, do I spring for an Onkyo 805 at a great price, but without full 1080p or go for the 606? The 1080p isn't needed now, but I want to future proof as much as possible.

Doug

Hi Doug, You might consider something like the Oppo HM-31 HDMI switch, which would give you an additional 3 HDMI ports for $99.00. www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    Hi Doug, You might consider something like the Oppo HM-31 HDMI switch, which would give you an additional 3 HDMI ports for $99.00. www.oppodigital.com/hm31/
    Roger,
    I was actually considering this unit:
    http://www.accellcables.com/products.../4x2Switch.htm

We're planning to put a flat screen TV in our den, which is ~25 feet away from the HT. It will be used for standard TV watching. I thought about putting one in the HT, but it won't work out. With a 4x2 box and an infrared relay, I can control input signals remotely. The plan is to use another receiver (maybe a second Panny), Ascend 200's and a small sub.

Doug

doug,

It seems you have fallen victim to one of the bits of misinformation floating about on HD formats. BD works just fine through component video, even up to 1080p as long as all of your components have component inputs and outputs that support 1080p.

This little canard of misinformation keeps popping up because of misinterpretation of the IC token copy protection allowed, but not implemented by any studio. If a studio decides to implement the token in any of their titles, they can limit component output to any particular quality they choose, 1080i, 720p, 480i, but the industry agreed before the forma even launched not to use it for a particular period at all, not to use it after that period without announcing the use was coming, and so far seems to have no interest in implementing it.

The big hassle with using component, which I have to do since I can't seem to get my Panny SA-XR57 to pass video over HDMI using a switch to use both my Oppo 980 player and my PS3, is that you need to use multichannel analog inputs or HDMI for audio to get the lossless audio codes or to get PCM uncompressed multichannel audio since digital optical and coaxial does not have enough bandwidth to handle these formats. I am using component for my video, which is only 1080i due to my older tv, and am using the switch to use HDMI for audio with both my players so that I can get lossless audio and use the Oppo for SACD and DVD-Audio. It works great.

I am still in the same boat as all of you though, because I want a new reciever that does not require me to use a switch, does not have the LFE -10 db bug over HDMI, and has a few more useful features. I am quite annoyed at Panasonic for deciding to drop their reciever line since I have gotten to love the digital amp sound, but there is nothing to do about it but shop for a new reciever from another brand.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Sam,
    It sounds like we're in similar circumstances. I have a nice NAD receiver, but it's pre-HDMI. My understanding is that copy protection does not allow BD output through componant, which makes HDMI necessary. I was intrigued by the Panny SA-XR57 and since Panasonic is getting out of the receiver business and discontinued it, I picked one up. I thought I could always use it in another location. I like it, but 1 HDMI is constraining. So, do I spring for an Onkyo 805 at a great price, but without full 1080p or go for the 606? The 1080p isn't needed now, but I want to future proof as much as possible.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    Anybody have any overheating issues with the 805 or lip syncing issues? thats the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger i dont know how common it is. To me it looks like one of the best for the money but if its gonna overheat its not worth it. I have plenty of room for it all around so space and airflow wont be a problem.
    My 805 was getting pretty hot. So I bought a little fan to put on top and it is running cooler now. Still warm, but not nearly as hot.

My 805 has not had any lip-sync issues. As far as heat it was luke warm when I ran 5.1. Now that I am running 6.1 it does run a little warmer but nothing I am at all worried about. I would not use it in a closed space though.

Michael