Thread: Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1?

Well...

Thanks to HSU being out of stock on their VTF2 MK3 I've had a wonderful opportunity to entertain a pre-order upgraditus. It starts out: If I can't get a sub for what may turn out to be who knows how long, well then, what was that about the Sierra's extended and punchier bass...? The more I looked deeper into the speaker I couldn't afford, the more I found I couldn't afford not to look into it. What remains to end my reevaluation comes down to this...

The question:

Which of these two choices would provide the best low to middle volume performance both in stereo, and as centers? - Any way you'd care to approach it: though weight, intelligibility, nuance, imaging and the ability to sound "in the room" natural would be some obvious aspects that I could think of.

1. CMT-340 left, right, center
    2. Sierra-1 left, right, center

I'm putting this out on behalf of those who prefer or expect to face volume restrictions. In my case my wife and I always do our movie watching together but she cannot stand to listen to movies run too loudly. When we listen to 2-channel music it's usually at moderate, often even at background levels. Man! We're O-L-D!

I've read about the low level performance of the Sierra in Sean Fowler's AffordableAudio.org review (see excerpt below.)

On the other hand I'm still looking to come across anything about the 340's at low volume. Anyone?

So, just based on hardware, it's more refined components vs. pretty darn refined components with double woofers. Till DaveF weighs in on the physics of this, what are your experiences?

I should add on a related level how DaveF observed that while his Sierra's were playing loudly he found himself able to carry on a normal conversation! Hm, might this be a cure for my wife's (and sometimes my own) avoidance of the joy of loud? There could be those occasions, even for the very very very old...

From AffordableAudio:

"I am a hopeless romantic (some just say I’m hopeless) that enjoys softer late night listening sessions - meaning that my ears tend to perk in the direction of components that are able to render great low level resolution. The Sierra 1’s do not disappoint in this regard, and while they do lose an ever so slight bit of sparkle on top – they still deliver all the goods that leave me content and in my chair. Even at whisper volumes, Diana Krall’s “Live in Paris” sounded expansive and alive. Nirvana’s “Un-plugged” album retained its atmosphere and edge." - Sean Fowler
    Last edited by VanJerry; 05-21-2008 at 04:39 AM.
    - VanJerry