Thread: My Thoughts (CMT-340se L/C/R)

Default My Thoughts (CMT-340se L/C/R)

I'll try my best to share my thoughts on the 340se's. I do not understand a lot of the technical aspects of this hobby, so I don't really consider myself a true Audiophile. I have read a lot of the technical terms used to describe the way audio equipment sounds, and while I don't have a full grasp of these terms, I do know what sounds good to me. I guess that's all that's important.

My speaker quest began in January of this year. I was ready to replace my current (Klipsch Synergy SLX wall mounted L/C/R) speakers. There really wasn't anything wrong with them. Aesthetically, they matched my TV, and have good sound, but based on their specifications, it was obvious that I was missing something in the audio spectrum. So, a little extra cash on hand, and upgrade-itus coaxed me into going on the hunt.

After reading AVS Forum, I was armed with a little information on how to shop for speakers, and what brands to consider. The one thing I knew was that I wanted to get away from "lifestyle" type speakers in favor of something that may not blend in as well, but provide a better theater experience.

Other than in the car, or on our table top mini stero, we don't listen to a lot of music. Our system is used for 100% HT duty usually on Family Night. We have a Denon 3806 AVR, Denon DVD, Philips LCD, Mirage S-12 sub, Klipsch Synergy SLX L/C/R, and Klipsch RSX-4 surrounds.

I started out listening to speakers sold by BB and CC. CC really did not have a listening room or any speakers I felt were worth considering, so I went to BB Magnolia. At BB I listened to a few speakers, but was most impressed by the Vienna Acoustics Hayden. From BB I went to a local "High End Shop" called Myer Emco. I listened to a B&W 6 series, CM-7 and CM-1 speakers. I was not at all impressed by the 6 series speakers, but I liked the sound of the CM-7 with matching center. In retrospect, the sound of the CM-7 was good, but I think the appearance is what was really drawing me in. However, at $2600 for the CM-7 + center, I decided I needed to listen to more speakers before committing that much money. To make a long story short, I visited number of "boutique" type shops. I had no idea that speakers could cost so much or be so ugly. I listened to speakers in my budget, and slightly more expensive than I intended to spend. The Paradigm Studio 40 and Dynaudio Audience 52se are two speakers that impressed me. I also listened to and was impressed by the ERA-D5. During my demos, I continued to return to the Paradigms for their huge presence, but after extended periods of listening I began to feel drained. For me, these speakers really define the term fatiguing. At a different shop, the Dynaudio speakers impressed me. I might have ended my search with these speakers back in March, but for their price ($1600 I think), I could live with the appearance with the grill removed. The plastic looking baffle just looked cheap to my eyes. The ERA-D5 were probably the best looking with their rich wood grain, but compared to the Paradigms they required far more volume to attain the same volume levels. I guess that's to be expected since they were only 6 ohm speakers.

I did not know anything about Internet Dealers. That's were AVS helped again. Internet sources became another source I had not previously considered. Aperion, Axiom, Ascend, and brands like Dana, and Swan gave me more choices. I seriously considered giving Aperion (great looking speakers), and Axiom (also great looking), a try, but the great reviews (both professional and consumer) of the Ascend products made them my #1 choice. Additionally, reading post from Dave F., convinced me that he was a knowledgeable, and down-to-earth kind of guy.

So, I decided Ascend it was going to be. That's when the hard work began. 340s' or Sierra's. I did not want to buy then return to upgrade so I decided to go with the Sierra-1 L/C/R in PB. But when I called on 5/2/08, they were out of stock. I was a little disappointed, but decided this was my opportunity to at least try the 340se. Besides, I was tired of window shopping.

So, I ordered the 340se's. After much ado (see my post on UPS delivery), I got my 340's.

I have listened to them for about 10 hours now, and have concluded that my Klipsch were not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Actually, let me say that they are good, but in different way.

The CMT-340se has a much fuller sound. Their presence is far greater than my Klipsch. The mid bass that I was missing on material I'm familiar with is THERE! The highs are not harsh at all, and they blend well with my subwoofer. I used various CD's and DVD's to demo the 340s. I adjusted the volume control louder that I'm used to with the Klipsch, and there was no fatigue. The Klipsch has a higher sensitivity. The movie Sweeny Todd for example, has great orchestral and voice scenes that really show off the ability of the 340s. The brass sections really shine. I also, demo'd The Incredibles, LOTOR, 5th Element, Bele Fleck and the Flecktone's Live at the Quick concert DVD. Listening and watching the Bele Fleck DVD with the 340s made me feel as though I was at the concert. The steel drums, banjo, basoon, and oboe among other instruments were so realistic sounding. If you haven't watched this concert DVD and you like this type of Jazz I highly recommend this disk.

At first, I had my 340 L/R set up on a pair of padded chairs that were at lower than ideal height. I built a prototype set of stands, and I placed some temporary "test" padding on the walls behind and to the outside of the 340s and that opened them up even more. Proper foundations and sound treatment do make a noticeable difference.

In conclusion, I have decided that of the speakers I listened to, the 340s are the best sounding. I think that I now understand what it means for a speaker to be neutral sounding.

I have also concluded that either Sierra-1 owners are seriously delusional or the Sierra-1 must be an amazing speaker, because I cannot imagine that a speaker that costs only a little more could sound that much better. It sounds corny, but the 340s sound that good!
    Last edited by Mr.Lawrence; 05-20-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Default Re: My Thoughts (CMT-340se L/C/R)

Hey, very nice review.

About the Sierras: Yes they are significantly even better than the 340s. I too wondered how a speaker could be better, as I too walked around to lots of high-end boutiques in my neighborhood (downtown Montreal) and listened to speakers costing up to $50 000, and felt that none really bested the 340 (many were far less good), so how could a less than $1000 Sierra? I wondered, that is, until I heard the Sierras in my loft.

With the 340s (using a subwoofer), the question was imply what more could a speaker deliver? The Sierras showed me what that "more" was for the first time.