Thread: Review of 340/170 5.1 Setup

Default Review of 340/170 5.1 Setup

I'm writing this for potential Ascend customers who, like me, are buying speakers internet direct for the first time. I'll discuss the speakers, but first I'd like to address the buying experience.

The last time I bought speakers, there was no such thing as internet direct speaker companies! Now, as then, the closest audio stores selling brands I would consider buying are 100+ miles away in Atlanta. The stores or so spread out that at best I can audition only two or three brands in a full Saturday. No store carried more than one brand on my short list. Last time I bought, I had generally good experiences once in the store, but driving around Atlanta is less than pleasant to this country boy.

This time around, I was open to any possibility. I considered buying brand names from large internet audio stores. I even considered DIY, but determined at the end of the day, cost savings isn't a factor, at least in my budget range. I kept coming across discussions of internet direct companies in various forums and decided to research.

At first, I wasn't sure about buying a pig in a poke, but the more I thought about the process, the more sense it made. All the ID companies I considered have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Experience taught me that showroom listening is a poor indication of actual home performance. Even if I had to pay return shipping, it would cost less than a trip to Atlanta.

I narrowed down my choices to a few well regarded products and companies and finally decided on Ascend. Three things were important to my decision. First, the reviews, both professional and user, were always very positive. Second, this forum provided me with honest answers to my questions. The general tone of the forum impressed me, everyone is respectful and polite. They are enthusiastic without seeming to be fanboys. Lastly, I've read some posts by Dave on other forums. His professionalism and honesty made me feel comfortable dealing with Ascend.

Anyway, on to the experience. I called Ascend to place my order because I wanted my center 340 to be vertical. Dina was polite and professional. My order shipped the same day I placed it and yesterday, a week later, my speakers arrived.

They are very well packed, with double boxing and foam inserts to further cushion the speakers. They arrived undamaged.

I'm not through with my HT construction, so I am unable to test the speakers in their eventual home. I did test them in the main floor family room, a very large open space. I also tested them in our basement den, which is roughly the same size as the new HT. They play plenty loud even in the cavernous family room. They didn't sound taxed even at volumes higher than they'll ever be played in the smaller HT. My new SVS PB12-NSD is hanging out in the family room and the 340's blended seamlessly with it, much better than the Boston Acoustics CR9's that reside there. I used my new Panasonic SA-XR57K digital amp to drive them. Everything sounded great, but since I'm also new to the amp, I tried them in the den with an amp I've lived with for several years (NAD 2200). They sounded great with it also.

The speakers I now own (the aformention BA's and RA Labs sealed two ways in the den) are decidedly "warm" but not very accurate. Ascends are accurate by design, therefore they have a different sound. My immediate impression was the 340's lower mids sounded a little thin, but I soon realized I was used to a big bump. The Ascends sound is much closer to my Grado headphones, which are well regarded for their neutrality. It took no time to adjust. I did a little more listening this morning and any thought of "thinness" was quickly dashed.

I recently read "if you don't undertand the term 'soundstage', you need new speakers". Boy, is that ever true! My current speakers kind of smear instruments between the left and right drivers. The 340's were a revelation. Instead of the oboe sounding somewhere to the right of center, it sounded two feet from the center of the orchestra, just where it should be. The orchestral soundstage sounds appropriately expansive, while smaller ensembles sound close and intimate.

Detail is remarkable. Flutes and clarinets when doubling a part sound like flutes and clarinets. I played Loggins and Messina's "Angry Eyes". The drums are played pretty aggressively, but at the end of the song, they are played much more quietly. You can clearly hear how different the snare or tom sounds when played softly. Lastly, I spent a fair amount of time listening to Anne Sophie Mutter's Carmen-Fantasie CD. You can hear her gentle breath intake as she launches into a phrase. She plays many notes as harmonics and you can hear the subtle difference in tone.

I've mentioned the midrange. The highs are clear and crisp without being harsh. My big surprise was the bass. Some reviews have led me to believe the 340's are bass shy, but that's not my impression! It was clean tight and deep, even without support from a sub. I think people have grown accustomed to bass heavy presentations. Go to a symphony or listen to a jazz combo with an acoustic bass and you'll realize just how overdone bass has become. Sure, bass is fun in movies, but I've good a monster sub to do the heavy lifting.

The accuracy of clarity of the 340's can be a double edged sword. I have a sampler CD from Telarc. It contains tracks recorded at various halls of different symphonies. Never before have I heard how different the halls and orchestras sound. The Cleveland and Cincinatti symphonies sounded much clearer than Dallas. I had no idea they were that different.

I didn't get much time to test the home theater configuration. Once the HT is finished, I'll give a more detailed assessment. I did watch a little "Lion King". I've never had a center speaker and I was amazed how much difference it makes! The 340 was clear and articulate. Jeremy Irons "Scar" sounded appropriately deep and menacing, while the young Nala (Niketa Caleme) sound appropriately childlike. The 170's sound great as surrounds and the entire sound field was enveloping and seamless.

I had a hard time deciding between the 340's and Sierra's. Since this will be primarily a home theater setup, with at least the center behind an acoustically transparent screen, I opted for the flat black 340's. It seems a shame to hide the Sierra's! I'll save the Sierra's for the den, where I do more music listening.

Buy Internet direct without fear. Buy Ascends and you'll be in for a sonic treat!

Doug

Default Re: Review of 340/170 5.1 Setup

Congratulations Doug! An excellent review and made me smile and remember my first time getting my Ascends! I never understood what soundstage was until I hooked them up!

Michael

Great review Doug...looking forward to seeing your theater progress.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the wonderful and detailed review! I am so pleased that everything worked out and the speakers met your expectations.

Enjoy!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com