Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cmb-170 or cmt-340

Frank...how big is the room?

You are welcome to come by again and listen. I put together another set of 170's too....so it will be easier for you to compare the two....unless I end up giving them to my Dad.

-curtis

I've always wondered which would be better. I thought I'd order the 170's and see how I liked them. If I felt that I needed more I'd get the 340 front end, if not another pair of 170's and a 340c. By the way my room is 12 x 12 at the moment.... Think that is a good idea curtis?

My main issue is that I'd like to know what the freq curve looks like for the 340's as L/R's. I know the 170 is highly praised, but when are we going to see some reviews of the 340's as mains?

I think that is a fine idea. 12x12 should not be any kind of a problem with the 170's.

As for the 340's getting reviews...I have no clue.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

I think that is a fine idea. 12x12 should not be any kind of a problem with the 170's.

As for the 340's getting reviews...I have no clue.

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But are you secretly saying that the 340's blow the 170's away and I'd be a knucklehead for not spending the extra dough for them??? []

hahahahaha.....

Nope...I hooked up the 170's the other day...I still love them. In fact, I wish I had a room that I could use them in.

The biggest difference is, the 340's are a bigger speaker, and sound like it.

-curtis

curtis the room is very large about 20x20 two big windows one large opening to the upstairs but in about two years or so I will be selling that house and moving back to my townhouse. The room in my townhose is about the same size as your room with you equipment.I'm looking for the best bang for the buck but it needs to sound really good

Frank....get the 340's then.

-curtis

hey curtis now if I buy the cmt-340l/f and cmt-340c which sub from HSU, I'm thinking maybe the STF-3 or the new VTF-3MKII by chance have you done a side-by-side test on them or has anyone else!! please write

I don't come close to having a golden ear but the differences between the 170's and 340's, to me, are really subtle. To me they both sound really similiar with the 340 playing a tad bigger as Curtis says. When I first A/B'd the two I really had a hard time telling much difference. With some of the stuff I listen to I even had thoughts that I slightly preferred the way the 170 presented the material. I fail to be able to put that in audiophile terms but is was just a sensation at the time. When I say A/B, in reality, I had to manually switch the cables from one to the other. A true A/B comparison might reveal more differences possibly but I doubt anything major. To best explain my feelings between the two I would say I don't regret at all spending the extra money for the 340's but the 170's, to me, are amazing in the fact that they produce essentially the same quality sound out of a smaller and less costly package. Being so close in the sound they produce I would be inclined to suggest basing your purchase decisions soley on room size. 12X12=170 and 12X20=340 I'd also go as far to say that if the budget is of concern then I have the greatest confidence that the 170's would do just fine in the larger room too. For the 20X20 room, I would second Curtis on the 340 recomendation.

Randy

On the Hsu site they have a recomendation form you can fill out (room shape, size, door openings etc.) If you fill this out and send Dr. Hsu will give you a sub recomendation and preferred placement. In a room of your size with the large opening I would say the STF3 or VTF3MKII would do fine. Also James and Dave at Ascend would be able to help you confirm your choice. I might add that I've got the VTF3MKII in a smaller room than yours but have a double opening into another room essentially the same size. This sub sounds fantastic with music and with movies makes me literally wonder if my plaster can handle it. Pictures on the walls bounce around and stuff falls off shelves if not secured. I am not exaggerating one bit.

Randy