Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cmb-170 or cmt-340

thanks for all the imfor lou-the-dog

hey does ascend make a center channel for the cmb-170 is it called the cbm-170c whats the center channel for this setup

I'd probably have to defer to the more knowledgable on this but I've thought that there essentially is no difference between a 170 used as a center and one used as a main. If positioned sideways tho I think the Ascend logo is applied accordingly and posssibly the diffuser on the tweeter rotated so it is oriented properly. On the 340c they install their EXBAC crossover to help with sound issues being placed on top of a TV but not sure if they do anything to the 170 in regards to crossover.

Randy

Ditto everything Randy posted.

When I first got my 340's, the differences between them and the 340's were subtle, after all, they do have Ascend's signature sound. The biggest difference is how they fill the room, the 340's have that bigger soundstage, and a smidgen more forward. The bigger soundstage was the kicker for me.

Since I bought a used 170, it has made it easier for me to listen to a pair of them and compare. The stands also make a difference...previously, I did not have my 170's on stands. This extra pair will either complete a 7.1 setup, or I will give them to my Dad to enjoy.

Frank...since I know Hsu is practically in your backyard, make an appointment and let them know you want to compare the STF-3 and Vtf-3MK2.

-curtis

I think I will call Dr HSU for a listen between the subs I wish he had the speakers to but that's asking for to much!!

one more thing has any member bought any of the ascends painted??? yet, I'm thinking in maybe getting the silver one to match my t.v. which will be also silver in color I'm looking to buy?? DLP?? or LCOS or just wait untill the new t.v's come out with 3 chips vs 1 chip? does any member have imformation on these new t.v's

frank,

for display advice head over to the avsforum.com

oh, and wear a hasmat and flameretardent suit as well[]

Frank,

THere has been some discussion on the video display thread here. Post your question there and see what help you can get here. Some of those display "discussions" at AVSForum make the Hsu v. SVS stuff look tame.

Personally I'm in the longer you can wait the better camp. Prices keep falling and the technology keeps getting better. Just start setting aside $100-200 each month and see what is out there next Feb after X-mas and Super Bowl demand is over.

OK Quinn....lets see who waits longer...you or me. []

-curtis

That is an easy one. I'm married and hence don't control the checkbook. [:0] You can tell me how great it is when you get it.