Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What speaker wire do you use with your Ascends?

Wow! That is the same set of speakers I have, but certainly not the same amp or wires!! And what a deal!

What speakers did you listen to before settling on Ascends?

-curtis

Been through PSB's--(forgot model name) M&K LCR 55 (I think)-- certainly overpriced for sound quality Tyler Acoustics Taylo (nice product but not for me) JBL, **** (both long gone). Actually bought Ascends from David on Ebay when Ascend first started up. Wired them up when I first got them and right out of the box, I found musical nirvana. Maybe, it's the room but I think it's the aerogel woofers. I wonder why no one else is using that material to produce speakers. Don't talk to me about aluminum or paper cones. Other materials seem to color the music whereas aerogel seems to let it flow. Piano and vocals sound right on with these. Can't wait until the 340 L/R's get here. [:0]Nice tweeters too[:0] I've matured into a tweeter man.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

Interesting choice picasso. The majority of my $$$ are going into the speakers. I'll be driving my $1300+ 5.1 ascends i have on order with a 200 dollar Sony Receiver, and currently some aluminum speaker wire which i intend to replace - which brings my question:

Will i lose a lot of sound quality if i went with Monster XP 16 guage for my rear HTM-200s? I like that particular wire cause they have that flat white tape for wire which should blend into my white carpet nicely. I'm trying to be sensitive to the wife and go as small as possible, and i dont have a means of routing the wire though my roof (no attic). "surely" this isnt an issue of debate meaning hasn't someone objectively tested sound fidelity on various wire guages somewhere?

(edit) Hmm- Crutchfield is of the opinion that 16 guage is ok for runs of 80feet or less.

Azanon- I'd bet that accessories4less.com or partsexpress.com has flat speaker wire for less than Monster thru Crutchfield. Monster wire is a lot of marketing and name recognition. Crutchfield has higher prices on pretty much everything to pay for that great customer service of theirs.

Ahh...good to see Quinn posting here.

Azanon, I would try to use at least 14gauge for runs that long.

I am also of the opinion that Monster is over priced, but I also know people that have had great results with them.

-curtis

Curtis is right. I should have made my post more clear. Monster isn't a bad product, I just feel it is overpriced.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BradJudy

Canare 4S8 - four 16 gauge wires per cable adds up to two 13 gauge wires ($0.41/foot from Markertek.com). I'm not a big believer in cables making a big difference, but I'm always willing to listen with an open mind if someone brings some by.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

mike anderson

Hi I'm new to this board. I just bought Canare 4S8 wires for my front speakers and am pretty happy so far. I just hooked them up today, and still need to listen to them for a while, but for the price, I figured it was worth it. I didn't want to spend a fortune on cables at this time, and I've played with alot of different 'cheap' attempts to 'build' my own with poor cables. I'm going to techflex the wires (I like the look).

mike anderson

<font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="black"></font id="black">Hi I'm new to this board. I just bought Canare 4S8 wires for my front speakers and am pretty happy so far. I just hooked them up today, and still need to listen to them for a while, but for the price, I figured it was worth it. I didn't want to spend a fortune on cables at this time, and I've played with alot of different 'cheap' attempts to 'build' my own with poor cables. I'm going to techflex the wires (I like the look).<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">

mike anderson