Thread: Sierra 1 Center vs 340SE center

Default Sierra 1 Center vs 340SE center

I received my Sierra 1 center today to match my L/R Sierra's. It replaces a 340SE that I have had for nearly 2 years. I have 340SE's for back surrounds and an HSU VTF 3.2 sub. I had a few ask me to share my thoughts after my upgrade.

I made the decision to upgrade my 340 based on the feedback from others on this forum. I was afraid I would spend $500 with little difference; however, as others have mentioned the upgrade was significant.

I removed the 340, installed the new Sierra (over my TV), recalibrated with my SPL meter, and headed for my music collection. As far as calibrating goes, the Sierra center requried 5.5 more decibels to match than the 340. It is amazing how much smaller the Sierra is than the 340. I actually had to get up and measure it to be sure it was the same size as my L/R's!

After nearly 5 hours of continuous listening my thoughts are that the 340 was great, but the Sierra center is even better. It makes the front soundstage seamless and, in my opinion, is a much better match with the other Sierra's. I am very happy with the result! I agree with other posters that the Sierra provides more clarity, clearer voices, and more bass/punch even with the crossover set at 80hz. Something else I noticed is that the sound from the seats to the left and right of center sound nearly as good as the sweet spot. I didn't realize how much the center impacts the overall experience but it does!

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to upgrade and I appreciate the input from everyone. Now, back to my music!

Michael

Default Re: Sierra 1 Center vs 340SE center

hi Michel,Which amplier you used for your sierras? I use Yamaha 3800 but seems it dont have enough power to drive sierras.

In 5 channel, (surrounds are 170se) I use a Yamaha-6060, and I have no compression problems at all. I don't like loud to the point of painful, but I do sometimes like a sound which is noticeably louder than, say, the volume of a symphony concert live.

In 7 channel (back surrounds are HTM-200) I get some subtle compression - I am beginnig to see the limits of my 700 watt total receiver/amp using all 7 channels.

Remember that the transformer in your receiver can only output so much power in total, regardless of per-channel specs, so the more speakers you connect, the less power each can get on peak volumes.

That said, I got a great deal on my 6060, and it's a fine piece of kit, but if asked how many watts I would need for utter 7.1 perfection using Sierras accross the front I'd say 800-900 (but certainly not more - more would just be overkill). 5.1 I'd say 700, and 2.1 300 or so (although not sure).

I use the Onkyo 805 with a 5.1 system. It is an awesome receiver and the Sierra's sound great. I haven't tried it with 6.1 yet but I'm going to try using my 340SE center as my back surround to see what it sounds like this weekend.

Michael

As it turns out, the 340SE center is an excellent back surround for a 6.1 speaker setup! I hooked it up today and was very happy with the sound. I have been very happy with my 5.1 setup but 6.1 is even better. With 3 Sierra's in the front and 3 340SE's in surround, I am set!

Michael