Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 speaker and sub home audio system...

Default 2 speaker and sub home audio system...

Ok guys im looking to buy some new home audio speakers. this is gonna be my first experience with ascend i hear amazing things though. My thing is ill be listening to music more then movies. So i want awesome SQ. Im stuck between the sierra's im trying to stay on a budget and the cmt's would be alot better for me. Would they be worth the extra money or would i be happy with the cmt's? These will be used in conjunction with a sub which i also need help picking lol. So any advice on which sub to pair with these speakers would be great too. I will be watching movies on my blue ray but like i said tru surround isnt needed just crisp accurate sound will be fine for me. Also im looking at buying the yamaha RX-V663 will this power the cmt's good enough? those two with a decent priced sub will fit my budget about right. So somebody sell me on the cmt's so i dont spend more then my budget lol thanks for any advice i appreciate your time.

Garrett

Default Re: 2 speaker and sub home audio system...

The 340s are great speakers. Get yourself a good sub like HSU research VTF-2 MK3 and you're all set. The Sierras do have some improvements over the 340s particularly with music. But then you probably wouldn't have anything left for a sub.

like mike said above, the 340s are great speakers, especially when matched with a good sub. that said, if you are going to be listening primarily to music, the sierras will provide better sound quality. many people are running their sierras subless with music, as they have excellent bass response that extends pretty low. you could just get the sierras now and hold off a little bit on the sub. while not official yet, i think it is safe to assume there is an ascend subwoofer in the works (judging by davef's responses to questions about it) so you could save some money by waiting on the sub now and see what ascend will have to offer in that regard.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Got one more question about the sierra 1's In the very good and long review i read on them. The guy said they lost some sound stage etc. at higher volumes. How noticeable is this. I have a pretty small room right now about 12 by 12. I love loud loud loud clear music. I have to have it blaring. My concerne is this while im young and like my music louder then most people especially my dad. Is this going to be a concern to me or will the pro's outweigh the cons and i wont notice that much? I have 3 way dls components in my car and I have it tuned to where i just turn it up as loud as it goes and thats perfect for me not distortion etc. Anybody have anything to say about the sierra's on higher volumes? thanks.

No concern with volume levels in that size of a room.

I would be more concerned about your hearing as you get older.
    -curtis

yeah i know my dad lectures me on it all the time. I think im gonna bite the bullet then and pull the trigger on them later this week. All the reviews etc. have pretty much overwelmed me that this is the way i need to go. Thanks for all the help Ill post as soon as i decide exactly what im doing.

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    Got one more question about the sierra 1's In the very good and long review i read on them. The guy said they lost some sound stage etc. at higher volumes. How noticeable is this. I have a pretty small room right now about 12 by 12. I love loud loud loud clear music. I have to have it blaring. My concerne is this while im young and like my music louder then most people especially my dad. Is this going to be a concern to me or will the pro's outweigh the cons and i wont notice that much? I have 3 way dls components in my car and I have it tuned to where i just turn it up as loud as it goes and thats perfect for me not distortion etc. Anybody have anything to say about the sierra's on higher volumes? thanks.
    Make sure you have a good solid amp/receiver running them. You are more likely to damage speakers by not having enough power than too much. Cheap amps can clip and damage speakers. You should also cross them over to a subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    Make sure you have a good solid amp/receiver running them. You are more likely to damage speakers by not having enough power than too much. Cheap amps can clip and damage speakers. You should also cross them over to a subwoofer.
    ive read numerous people run these without a sub for a period of time. Since these are a bit out of my budget that was kinda my plan till i can get a sub. Is this not a good idea? Also i would like some input on what reciever i should push these with. Do i need an external amp or will something like the yamaha 861 at 105 watt's per channel suffice? Im pretty new to home audio so dont know much. What exactly do i need to get these puppies sounding superb? thanks

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    ive read numerous people run these without a sub for a period of time. Since these are a bit out of my budget that was kinda my plan till i can get a sub. Is this not a good idea? Also i would like some input on what reciever i should push these with. Do i need an external amp or will something like the yamaha 861 at 105 watt's per channel suffice? Im pretty new to home audio so dont know much. What exactly do i need to get these puppies sounding superb? thanks

Garrett
    True, some people do run them without a sub. But they probably aren't blasting them at loud loud loud volumes. The Sierras have gotten rave reviews because of the amazing detail and clarity they provide. They can be played at very high volumes but they aren't going to bring the house down. 105 watts per channel should be fine.

when i say loud volumes its kinda misleading. I dont mean like a rock concert. I have 3 way dls nobelliums in my car high dollar dls amp audio control 1/3 ocatave eq etc. I krank that up and its loud but in a different loud not like kill your ear drums but clean and loud and krisp. So these speakers would prob work well for me. Im still debating and i had a problem at work i had to fix so now im out another couple hundred so gonna be another week before i decide. So i got more time to research and think. Thanks for the advice though man.