Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: upgrade or not?

Curtis,

how are the folks liking the STF-2? I see the VTF-2 MK2 is out with a 250 watt BASH amp! Hmmmm........

MAG

Mag neato- Don't get to caught up in the watt rating. It takes doubling the watts for every 3dB volume increase.

yeah...Quinn is right. The overall design of the sub is what is important. Also remember that it is the efficiency of the driver along with the amp......an inefficient driver needs a more powerful amp, a more efficient driver does not......and there are many more factors as well. The older VTF-2 with a 150watt amp put many more "powerful" subs to shame.

The STF-2 and CBM-170's go to my Parents' today. I had some folks over for a demo yesterday listening to the CBM-170's. I got a feeling it is going to be pretty hard for me to get the 170s and sub back from my Dad.....I am going to have to make him put together his HT, especially since my Mom gave him the green light a while ago.

-curtis

By the way,

There is a guy selling two STF-2's at $265 each here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=189623

-curtis

Thanks guys...good advice. If I had all of my funds in hand I'd contact that poster selling the subs. Another 3 weeks should tell the story if my plans will come to be. If I end up with enough dough, I will go to Hsu direct. What do you guys think of the Outlaw LFM-1? Kinda like the STF-3 but less money!

MAG

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mag_Neato

What do you guys think of the Outlaw LFM-1? Kinda like the STF-3 but less money!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would like to hear it and see what difference the downfiring ports make.

-curtis

The Outlaws did have Dr. Hsu as a consultant on their sub, so I'd imagine they are very similar. I had a chance to move my sub over the weekend. a small change in location can payoff in smoothing bass response. I may have to rethink selling this sub!(considering the "overwhelming response I got from the other thread!)

MAG

This is the best summary of the differences between the LFM and STF twins(?) I've seen- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...68#post3244668

Thanks Quinn....interesting stuff! I may end up keeping my sub after trying it in a different position. I moved it's port side away from the wall it faces about 6-12" and had some VERY nice response(smoother). I think corner loading is overrated. Maybe I'll finally add that 6th speaker for the rear center instead(although I have W.A.F. to deal with!).
    By the way, I see from your other post that you are a Chef! Yesterday, My wife, kids and I ate at The Cheescake Factory. I'm not a food expert, but the food was very good and the dessert even better! Would you agree?

MAG

I never eaten at The Cheesecake Factory so I coundn't tell you.