Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum - I have a decision to make

I don't know about the boards favoring SVS over Hsu. I've seen close to a dead heat between the two brands with maybe Adire in a distant third place in the internet sub sweepstakes. I think that you could be happy with any one of the three I've mentioned. I own a Hsu VTF-2 and am extremely pleased with it and the way it meshes with my Ascends (CBM-170 mains and surrounds with a CMT-340c center) sonically.

I own an SVS and have heard HSU. Both are excellent products for the money.

I think I'm going to order a pair of 170's and see how things work out paired with my 7200. If I don't like them I'll send them back. If I do I think I'll order 340's for the front and a VTF3 sub (from HSU - cheaper than here and newer model with more power). Thoughts?

If you are going to get the sub regardless, get them with the speakers, so you can hear how they work together. I think Ascend matches the price that Hsu sells them for.

-curtis

yeah, but is it the new version? Or should I just get the VTF2?

they get their stock from Hsu...so whatever Hsu has, Ascend has.

-curtis

but as for the vtf2 vs vtf3?

Oh...you mean the VTF-3MK2. I'm pretty sure it is, Hsu doesn't make the older version any more. In any case, just give Ascend a call and find out.

-curtis

why would I want to audtion them with a sub? I thought the whole purpose was to see how the mains sound themselves. I can borrow a sub to see how things blend I guess.

If you were planning on getting a sub, I think it would be a good idea to hear how various speakers work with it. Ofcourse listen to the speakers without it as well. You can also compare with a sub...some speakers do not extend as low, but if you have a sub, those differences are less of a differentiator.

Just something to think about.

I had a couple of gentlemen over last night for listening, and basicly demoed without the sub with music, in HT I turned the sub on.

-curtis