Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum - I have a decision to make

In a room that size you could get a 340c, 170 mains, and 200 surrounds. You could certainly substitute another 170 for the center but I'm a firm believer in getting the best center available. I think you will be quite pleased with both music and HT.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone in your area would have you over for a demo.

I'm in Lexington, KY.

I prefer to keep all speakers the same if not completely similar sonically. So if I decide to go with a traditional center I will have 170's for the front and rear, or 340's up front LCR and 170's for the rear.

Likewise I'm pondering the aformentioned JBL's, Onix, Axiom, Paradigm, B&W, and Monitor Audio. I can afford pretty much any setup, but I don't want to go crazy unless I have to.

I appreciate your response

Is a subwoofer in your future? Something small like the Hsu STF-1 would help a lot.

Otherwise, you are on the right track. Got out and listen, find out what you like.

-curtis

I intend to purchase a sub, but probably not until later this spring. I've listen to everything I can locally and very few things melt my butter. I liked the paradigm studio 20's the most. The B&W602 series were nice, but were muddy in the midrange, Klipsch were quite bright, and clear, not neccessarly a bad thing, but vocals sounded nasaly due to the horn loaded tweet. Def tech sounded overall boomy....

I just can't seem to find anything that fits the bill yet. None of those were "perfect".

That's about all I have locally unless I go to the likes of best buy, circuit city, etc.... Which brings me to online companies.... I was at first quite interested in onix. There speaker exteriors are supposed to be there advantage I suppose?!?! Not that, that is a bad thing. I recieved some of their finish samples today and wasn't that impressed. Perhaps I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to. Sure they're real wood, but they don't look that much different than other finishes I've seen. Personally as long as the cabinet doesn't look hideious, I'll buy anything as long as it sound nice....

I just don't know what to do or what else to audition. It's just hard to take a road trip to audition speakers.

Your thoughts?

The Onix cabinets are very well made.

Sound is very subjective. If you liked the Paradigm Studio 20's, then I would suggest you listen to the CBM-170's. Out side of the bass extention, I feel they are in the very least comparable.

The muddy midrange of the B&W602 has been mention before on the forums, same with your characterizations of the Klipsch. I do not recall reading the Def Techs being call boomy.

Other speakers that I would suggest you listen to is the Monitor Audio Bronze B2, and possibly the Epos ELS-3 that has been getting some attention.

I would highly recommend a nice sub to take full advantage of music and HT.

What did you feel the Studio 20 lacked? What did it need to be "your" perfect speaker?

-curtis

I don't want to sound anal...

I want an airy top end that isn't too aggressive and a very clear midrange. the transition from mid to top should be very smooth - very. it would also help if the midbass region was fairly punchy.

perhaps the def tech opinion was setup related.... they just sounded bloated.

I don't mean to be picky. Like most people I want to get the most out of my money.

Just saw your post on AVS.

Out of the speakers I have heard, and in a similar price range, I would say give a listen to the MA Bronze B2, and the CMT-340.

But if you can try those JBL's at that great price, and with a good return policy, it would not hurt to try them.

-curtis

When I was searching for speakers the Ascend 170's were, in more than one instance, compared equally to the sound of the Studio 20's. If you liked the sound of the 20's then the 170's would be logical to put on your list. I ended up purchasing the 340 L/C/R and 170's for surrounds. I really like my settup. The 340's are really nice speakers as they play a little bigger than the 170's but the 170's are really amazing too. I've played with the 170's a little as the mains and in my opinion they really are "big" little speakers and deserve to be up front.

Randy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sigma B

I want an airy top end that isn't too aggressive and a very clear midrange. the transition from mid to top should be very smooth - very. it would also help if the midbass region was fairly punchy. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds to me like the Ascend 340, or Axiom M22ti would suit you nicely. Both have superb clarity. I also highly recommend a Hsu subwoofer. Regardless of what you end up with (if you're decided on a bookshelf speaker already) you'll be well served adding a good subwoofer to the mix. Hsu can't be beat.

Good luck!

btw...Axiom is another internet only dealer. Visit their message boards (www.axiomaudio.com/boards)and see if an owner local to you will let you give theirs a listen.

hsu over svs? usally it's the other way around.... at least on the boards....

I just don't know what to do. I haven't been wowed by anything - at least in my price range.

I really like the technical specs of the ascends. But what really scares me is user reviews saying that thier speakers compress under stress and the virtually non existent bass department. I'm not trying to flame, and I for one and the first to admit that I haven't heard them first hand. I'm just concerned about how I spend my money.