Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubber inserts around tweeters

Default Rubber inserts around tweeters

Mien feel off, I think they got loose during shipping - do they serve any function other than aesthetics? Gee I hope my woofer didn't get damaged...

Default Re: Rubber inserts around tweeters

Quote Originally Posted by robruffo View Post
    Mien feel off, I think they got loose during shipping - do they serve any function other than aesthetics? Gee I hope my woofer didn't get damaged...
    on your Sierras? Yes, it is a waveguide, it is not for aesthetics.

From the Sierra technology webpage:

"Fully integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made from elastomer to reduce diffraction and control off-axis response."
    -curtis

Well, I put them in, and now they sound well beyond what I would have thought possible for a speaker.

Since I never took off the front grilles, I never noticed before. Strange no? Could they have been shaken loose by bass?

Now that I put them back in, will it be OK? Do I need special glue or something?
    Last edited by robruffo; 04-09-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

Never noticed what? Didn't the speakers arrive with the waveguide in place?

You shouldn't need anything special to keep them in place.
    -curtis

I didn't check. I just never took the grilles off. Maybe they were on the verge of falling off and then finally popped completely off?

So... Would bass shake them loose? I was running low freq. test discs to place my speakers and some acoustics treatments, mind you, it wasn't that loud.. I was moving the speakers around... I guess that's the explanation, they they were already partly out, and then finally fell due to bass or even gentle motion.

I checked both woofer and stweeter - they don't look damaged at all, I hope that means something...

I do notice that my sweet spot just got bigger, and that imaging is better than ever before.

I highly doubt bass would shake them loose. The cabinet is extremely inert. They were probably shaken loose during shipping.
    -curtis

How are they supposed to be attached? Glue, friction fit? This isn't the first time I've read about these falling off during shipping. Since I'm on the verge of possibly ordering Sierras, it has me a bit concerned.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    How are they supposed to be attached? Glue, friction fit? This isn't the first time I've read about these falling off during shipping. Since I'm on the verge of possibly ordering Sierras, it has me a bit concerned.

-Dave
    Nothing that I would be concerned about. On mine, it is a snug friction fit.

The only way I can see them coming off is by using your fingernails on the edges and pulling them off....which is what I did, or by shipping. Very simple to put back in.....easier than putting the grille back on.
    -curtis

It's true. Mine went right in (took 10 seconds) , and I must say the sound improvement is compelling. You move around the room, and this big sound seems to follow you, like the Mona Lisa's eyes. Before sound was also superb, but there were particular sweet-spots to a much greater degree.

Luckily nothing seems to be damaged.

Newbie here - a proud owner of Sierra-1 for 7.1 setup! I had the same problem, I contacted Dave Fabrikant directly and he responded that this has happened in the past! The most important thing - no glue needed! Just pop them back in. It happened on 2 of my speakers.