Thread: 170SE with a Classic 340c?

Question 170SE with a Classic 340c?

I think i am going to jump on the 170SE sale since i just got a new receiver and i want to move to real 7.1. Just wanted to see if everyone thinks they would fit in with my current setup. I've been immensely happy with my ascends for over 3.5 years now, just been bitten with upgraditis. Would i see any imaging issues between the 170SEs and the classic 340c?

I just upgraded to an onkyo tx-sr805 a few months back.

Current config (all classics):
    L/R CBM-170
    C CMT-340
    SL/SR HTM-200
    SBL/SBR random HTiB speakers

Desired new config:
    L/R CBM-170SE
    C CMT-340
    SL/SR CBM-170
    SBL/SBR HTM-200

Default Re: 170SE with a Classic 340c?

while i haven't heard the SEs matched with classics, i know there a few around these boards doing just that, and i have not heard any complaints. i also remember davef saying that the new SEs will work just fine with the classics when they were released.

there's also the option of having your classics upgraded to SEs if you're really worried about it, but i think you'll be fine.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I have not heard classics, but looking at Dave's brutally honest readouts of both types of speakers, the ses have more detail in the highs, but the tonal characteristics are both the exact same pure neutrality - that's what creates matching goodness, tonal similarity. Texture (unless there is a gigantic difference) does not.

As such, you can match any Ascend to any Ascend in any config and be fine. I'd even imagine you could have a stereo pair of two types of Ascend speakers and it would be passable (I'm not saying great, but passable or better).

thanks guys!

They'll be here in a week! I'll post back with what i find

Got the 170se's, and man are the awesome. There is a definite increase in the clarity of higher frequencies over the classics. Listening to dave brubecks take five SACD, it sounds like the cymbals effortlessly float from the fronts.

The SEs blend perfectly well with my existing classics, and my surround staging is far better by getting rid of the junky HTiB backs and moving 170s to the surround positions.

I can't help but feel like i am missing out a little on the high end with the classic 340 center though, so that will be my next upgrade. I plan to send it in in a month or two after i recoup some funds for the SE upgrade treatment.