Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2?

Default Re: Sierra 2?

just out of curiosity, if this new bamboo material you are experimenting with turns out to be good, would it replace the material currently used in the sierra-1, or would it only be used in newer products? and if it would be used for the sierra-1 as well, would this cause a slight name change to the sierra to signify the change in material?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by tank418 View Post
    We Want A Sub !!!!!! We Want A Sub !!!!!!! We What A Sub !!!!!!!! Need I Say More !!!!
    I take it that you want an Ascend subwoofer, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by drewface View Post
    just out of curiosity, if this new bamboo material you are experimenting with turns out to be good, would it replace the material currently used in the sierra-1, or would it only be used in newer products? and if it would be used for the sierra-1 as well, would this cause a slight name change to the sierra to signify the change in material?
    I am not sure at this point... the change (if it were to happen) would be transparent. We have, in fact, already gone through (3) different bamboo suppliers. The material is basically the same but it is manufactured in a new way.

I think the majority of you would be very pleased if you knew what projects are in the works - but ask any longtime Ascend customer, I will not be discussing these until I am fully satisfied and production is underway. All I will say is that without question, I have been listening to all of you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Plyboo

The discussion of Plyboo piqued my interest. I did a little internet research. I couldn't find many suppliers, but when I did it was an eye opener.

I'm used to paying ~$20 for a sheet of MDF, ~$50 for a sheet of birch or oak ply. The prices I found for a sheet of Plyboo was ~$250!

That may help put Sierra's in perspective.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ..............I have been listening to all of you
    Including me?

Default Re: Plyboo

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    The discussion of Plyboo piqued my interest. I did a little internet research. I couldn't find many suppliers, but when I did it was an eye opener.

I'm used to paying ~$20 for a sheet of MDF, ~$50 for a sheet of birch or oak ply. The prices I found for a sheet of Plyboo was ~$250!

That may help put Sierra's in perspective.

Doug
    Yeah..welcome to the pricey party! I paid $230/sheet plus freight shipping to get 3/4" Plyboo shipped to my house from our nearest supplier, which was Eco Supply in Richmond, VA. Awesome place...father and son startup with all kinds of products and ideas and solutions to make the world a bit greener...01/20/09 comes to mind, though it'll take more than a Son & Pop to get it done...

We need a FAQ. (for the why no MTM Sierra, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Have you heard the Sierra? IMO...it doesn't lack in the low end, in fact, it has more punch than some other respectable bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers.
    For the life of me I can't understand why it has better punch than even some floorstanders. Few weeks ago we had an audio trade show in Montreal, I was more than a bit disappointed by a few of the systems... Even some floorstanders rated 30hz with double 7 inch bass woofers, costing significantly more than the Sierra, seemed to have less punch. (no level match not even A/B though, just my recollection of wow, this speaker has no punch..).

Hoping I'm not opening a can of worms, but how can that be? Dynaudios seem to have that punch, or another bookshelf also surprised me, the ProAc D2 http://proac-loudspeakers.com/dtwo.php, also was able to deliver the punch similarly to the Sierra (though it costs what... 3000$?), but it's surprising how many speakers lack that punch...

Anyhow, always interesting to hear a lot of different speakers, always somewhat highlights imho the fact that most speakers are simply tradeoffs. Good at something, bad at others... Best performance ends up being average of all the traits... Sierra does this very well. 'Super' speakers sometimes don't even seem to do that...

Larger, more costly, also really doesn't equate better sound. The $150000 Kef Muon was there. It was one of the most crowded room. http://www.kef.com/products/muon/ It sounded ok. Really nothing special. In a room right beside, was a Wilson system, either Sophias or Puppy8, with subs, and it was mostly empty, it did not look as impressive, but if all of the participants were blind, I'm sure there would have been a lot more people listening to the Wilsons than the Muon... Or Dynaudio had their 30 year anniversary Saphires, for a tenth of the price of the Muon, they sounded fabulous.

Pierre Gabriel was also a 'giant' speaker with big price which really, makes you wonder about big vs small speakers. http://www.stereotimes.com/images/JadisKey.jpg I'm 100% sure you could make a 2 way speaker costing 10 times less with the exact same drivers, put it in the same room, and would have ended with a better sound... Ok maybe not play as loud, but basically all two ways can handle normal listening levels, and even above. Huge speakers for huge rooms, normal speakers for normal rooms is my advice. When you stick big speakers in normal/small rooms, always seems like a waste to me, and for some reason most often than not simply does not sound that great...

Verity Audio was once again, truly excellent. http://www.verityaudio.com Great speakers, I don't know how Kef can try to sell the Muon for 150000$ when such excellent speakers as Verity Audio costs less (I'm guessing!)...

The end sound you can get with 'small' bookshelfs, Sierra, ProAcs, Harbeth, etc. often really rivals some of the much more expensive floorstanders.

Ok enough rambling... Btw, Ascend should really participate to some of these shows, it would be a hit I'm sure.
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 04-19-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Nice to read all the input in this thread!

In terms of materials, someone mentioned Wilson audio. I read somewhere that Wilson audio uses some special kind of polymer for their cabinets, making their cabinets very non-resonant. Can Ascend try something along that line?

And in terms of bookshelves that dig deep, the one that immediately comes to my mind is the Totem Manni 2. The Manni 2 uses 6.5" dynaudio woofers stacked back to back, this is what gives Manni 2 that amazing bass response. But this configuration also means that a very powerful amp is needed to make the Manni 2 sing.

And oh, I like the soft dome tweeters used in Ascends. I can't stand metal dome tweeters.

Anyways, just throwing out some ideas.

I'm pretty sure that the material Wilson uses is VERY expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post

And in terms of bookshelves that dig deep, the one that immediately comes to my mind is the Totem Manni 2. The Manni 2 uses 6.5" dynaudio woofers stacked back to back, this is what gives Manni 2 that amazing bass response. But this configuration also means that a very powerful amp is needed to make the Manni 2 sing.

And oh, I like the soft dome tweeters used in Ascends. I can't stand metal dome tweeters.
    In addition to having to pony up for the muscle to drive them, I did some research and found the Mani-2 is more than 4x expensive as the Sierras.

It's interesting that we're discussing much more esoteric and expensive manufacturers when comparing Sierras. I went to the Wilson web site. I got some perspective when I saw they quoted Absolute Sound reviews.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post

In terms of materials, someone mentioned Wilson audio. I read somewhere that Wilson audio uses some special kind of polymer for their cabinets, making their cabinets very non-resonant. Can Ascend try something along that line?
    You mean like bamboo? http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ghlight=sierra