Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2?

Default Sierra 2?

I have been reading about the 170 and the Sierra 1. The Sierra 1 looks very tempting. But I have been wondering, does Ascend have any plans for putting a 6.5" woofer into a Sierra class cabinet, sort of like a 170 on steroids?

The larger woofer would definitely add more punch on the low end.

Default Re: Sierra 2?

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    I have been reading about the 170 and the Sierra 1. The Sierra 1 looks very tempting. But I have been wondering, does Ascend have any plans for putting a 6.5" woofer into a Sierra class cabinet, sort of like a 170 on steroids?

The larger woofer would definitely add more punch on the low end.
    Have you heard the Sierra? IMO...it doesn't lack in the low end, in fact, it has more punch than some other respectable bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers.
    -curtis

No, I have not heard the Sierra-1. I am just curious if having a slightly larger woofer would make the Sierra sound even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    No, I have not heard the Sierra-1. I am just curious if having a slightly larger woofer would make the Sierra sound even better.
    It probably wouldn't just be a bigger woofer....it would have to be a bigger speaker overall....and bigger doesn't always mean better.
    -curtis

Curtis is right. To get the same bass extension of the Sierra-1 with a 6.5", the cabinet would have to be considerably larger. It would be a different speaker altogether. The only aspect that would be guaranteed to be "better" would be efficiency, and even with that we could only expect perhaps 1 - 2dB higher efficiency. Efficiency has no relation to sound quality.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies.

Learn something new everyday.

just wondering if a Sierra floorstand speaker is in the works? With the new lines and development of speakers from "the other ID company", just wondering if ascend is going to offer a "high end" floorstander, a cut above the 340SE,(which IMO is great, i have a pair).

Quote Originally Posted by sharpie2828 View Post
    just wondering if a Sierra floorstand speaker is in the works? With the new lines and development of speakers from "the other ID company", just wondering if ascend is going to offer a "high end" floorstander, a cut above the 340SE,(which IMO is great, i have a pair).
    We have a few ideas we are tossing around at this point. I can't say for sure either way, but using this much bamboo is very problematic and absurdly expensive.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

May I make a couple suggestions (from a prospective buyer's point of view)?

MT and MTM floor standing options
    Transmission line
    MDF
    Cheaper finish: oak veneer? painted satin black?

Default Why would we need a Sierra 2?

One of the great things about a Sierra 1 is how fast the transient response is. A bigger woofer would likely only diminish that.

Why a floorstander? It's not like most floorstanders extend bass any more than the Sierra - they just take up more room.

I for one only wish Ascend made a subwoofer - this would save me a lot of research and shopping time, and I wish they offered more stand options - like a low center channel stand, and higher stands for Sierras and surrounds. I suggest they work something out with Jason Coleman, who makes beautiful bamboo stands for the Sierras.

The Sierra itself seems very difficult to improve on - then again that's what I used to say about the 340se :-)