Thread: Hi from Canada

Default Hi from Canada

Hello everyone, I am another confused noob trying to piece together a low budget sound system. My current system: 321 Series11, PS3 and a Sanyo Z5 720 projector with a 120 in 1.8 gain GrayWolf screen. My room is 18x15x10 in the basement with only a hometheater couch and a couple of endtables for furniture. The 321 is finally going up stairs and the wife gave me 2000bucks to spent!
    Now I am looking at the 340SE/170SE system and I can get a great deal on a Denon 788 and a Energy 10.3 subwoofer. What do you guys think?

ps. Thank you David for a great deal on shipping to Canada.

Default Re: Hi from Canada

Hi venom,and welcome to the Ascend community. I would love to offer you some assistance, but I know little about HT set-ups.I am a 2 channel stereo music fan. Believe me tho I am very much in the minority. No doubt someone will be along to offer you there thoughts.

hey venom, welcome!

i have a 340SE/170SE setup and am extremely pleased with it. i don't know much about current denon receivers, but when i bought my yamaha a few years back, it was often compared to denons and i believe they are still fairly even when it comes to performance and features. that said, the yamaha has done extremely well for me over the years as i've gradually improved my system, and i'm sure this denon will be a great first step. i recently bought a separate amp for my system, but i still use the yamaha as a processor, and its internal amp did a great job driving the ascends before i upgraded. starting out with a low budget sound system, i definitely think a receiver like the denon you're looking at or a yamaha of similar specs is a good way to go. don't know anything about the energy sub, but i think you'll be quite happy with your new setup. good luck, and make sure to post your impressions of your new setup once you're up and running.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Thanks for the welcome.
    I just placed an order for a SVS pb10 sub from a Canadian retailer for only 499cdn and I am picking up the Denon Friday.
    Almost ready to order the Acsend, just need to iron out a few details.
    As a Canadian ordering from the US is always risky, handling/border fees can kill a good deal and even if we take avantage of the 30 day money back it will still cost us an arm and a leg across the border to ship it back again.

Anyway, I cannot wait to get my new hometheater up and running

cheers

Placed the order today for my new Acsends!

My new 'soon to be' HT,

340SE mains, 340SE center, 170SE rears.
    Denon AVR788
    SVS PB10 Sub
    PS3 for BD's
    Z5 720P Projector, 1.8 gain 120in GrayWolf screen.

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Hello everyone, I am another confused noob trying to piece together a low budget sound system. My current system: 321 Series11, PS3 and a Sanyo Z5 720 projector with a 120 in 1.8 gain GrayWolf screen. My room is 18x15x10 in the basement with only a hometheater couch and a couple of endtables for furniture. The 321 is finally going up stairs and the wife gave me 2000bucks to spent!
    Now I am looking at the 340SE/170SE system and I can get a great deal on a Denon 788 and a Energy 10.3 subwoofer. What do you guys think?

ps. Thank you David for a great deal on shipping to Canada.
    Hi Venom,

Wishing you a warm welcome to our family!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Congratulations Venom! I think your new system will bring a smile to your face for years to come! If you haven't already, while you are waiting I would suggest you browse information on positioning and room acoustics. After I bought my system, I found that getting the speakers in the right place, getting them calibrated with an SPL meter, and optimum location of furniture can really make a difference.

Enjoy!

Michael

Thanks Michael, I cannot wait to get everything setup. We move into our new place in 5 weeks where I am going to built myself a dedicated hometheater in the basement. I will ask for more specific tips and ideas over the next few weeks.

My Acsends arrived yesterday, undamaged and on time! Pictured here with the subwoofer and reciever - note I went with the 605 after all.

Here is a pic of our new house right on scedule!

And my idea of the basement layout. The 120in screen will be on the 15ft wall.