I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of "classic" HTM-200's. I'd read wonderful things about Ascends and was planning to use them in our new dedicated HT. I thought picking up a pair of used Ascends would give me a good idea of the product line's sonic quality. I know Ascend has a generous return policy, but I felt this would be an easier way to audition.

As I type, I'm sitting in our living room listening to Laurie Lewis. This room is really not a fair test. It's an open space with the kitchen and dining room, with a loft in the back. The vaulted ceiling is 22' high. All told, it's probably 8,000 cubic feet. The 200's are up to the task. They really sound great. I can't wait to hear them in our HT, which at 16x18x9 will be more appropriately sized.

The resident LR speakers are Boston Acoustics CR9's. Compared to the BA's, the 200's have a better low midrange. Tom Rozum, a baritone, sounds fuller. The acoustic guitars sound more distinct. The 200's sound a little more laid back in a good way. Highs are very controlled and detailed. They also seem to blend better with my old Infinity Servo sub.

Just for fun, I listened to Derek Truck's "Live at the Georgia Theater". It's a very energetic rock album and the 200's kept up with no problem, even played loud in this cavern! Soundstage and imaging were first rate.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with them, but the overall general impression is that these are very easy speakers to live with. They have a non fatiguing sound which invites extended listening.

These 200's will either end up as the rear surrounds in the HT or as my new home office speakers. If I'm as excited about these classic 200's I'm sure I'll be blown away by the 340's or Sierras when I order my HT setup.

The glowing reviews from both individuals and the industry are well deserved.

Doug