Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: my Sierra-1 et al story

Default Re: my Sierra-1 et al story

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    There are a lot of people on AVS who don't know what they are talking about.
    LOL, that's the understatement of the year.

That's one heck of a system you have!! I am curious how you have the four MBMs hooked up.

I have the Conquest and four MBM-12's split with Y connectors. The Conquest uses its internal x/o set @ 70hz. I have the MBM's set to 'out' and season to taste with Integra DTC-9.8 handling bass management. I set it at 150hz x/o for all seven channels, MBM's (50-150hz) handing off to the Conquest fine tuned to 70hz for smoother blending at the transition (initially @50hz). It worked very well for movies. I achieved max output without audible distortion for the demo scenes I was aiming to improve without strain, such as Mr. Brooks (hallway) and Open Range. I finally succeeded at reproducing the "punch to the chest effect" effortlessly and _without_ any sub localization. However, on the music side, transparency was diminished and imaging suffered with my SACD, DVD-A's and well recorded CD's. The Integra 9.8 has a 'Direct' mode that defeats the speaker x/o settings and defaults to full-band as well as cancelling Audyssey MultEQ. This was my preferred mode for music until last week after hearing the good news from Dave....

I've been retraining my brain and ears for the next level. To prepare for the auspicious moment, I am running full-band on all seven channels _plus_ double-bass set to 'ON'. This also preserves Audyssey MultEQ and has the best sound quality for both music and movies in my room. I just can't run the demo scenes full-throttle since that's where I ran into trouble before even setting the LCR Sierra's 80hz x/o.

How can we have our cake and eat it too?? That's something Dave has helped me figure out. Unadulterated Sierra quality and all the output even _I_ could want.
    Last edited by Mia & Lana's dad; 06-09-2008 at 09:24 AM.

The shotgun blasts in "Open Range" must be crazy in your room!
    -curtis

What is the " good news from Dave"???

Thanks,

Jim

That really is the crux of this dilemma isn't it? How does one improve the Sierra under its original design targets and price point? I don't think it is possible.

BUT

There's this crazy guy that is obsessed and diseased... Dave's cure for this madman entails the following:

• linear frequency response
    • horizontal dispersion maintained
    • symmetrical vertical dispersion maintained, but narrowed, resulting in less floor & ceiling bounce
    • lower distortion
    • greatly increased dynamic capability
    • lower intermodulation distortion

oh yeah, and OUTPUT like WHOA

so... am i missing something here, or am i not alone in being completely confused?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I too, am completely confused Drewface. So if it's any consolation, you are not alone. What would really be nice would be some mysterious hint of an Ascend subwoofer. Come on Dave throw us a bone.

Jim

The primary reason my post count on AVS hasn't risen much for some time. I've only recently gone back to reading interesting threads there. It is not just the people, even some with post counts in the thousands, who don't know what the heck they are talking about, it is the unbearable number of people who can't even admit that their personal prejudices run roughshod over every post they make and who seem completely unable to allow for the possibility that they might be mistaken about their preconceptions.

While there is some specific brand prejudice, I think the largest number of these types of posts come from ID prejudice. If you ask most of these posters if they have ever heard Ascends, they likely haven't and if they have did not demo them in any way that would counter their prejudice in any way.

After over a decade of reading and posting on AVS, I am trying to keep it in my list of information and discussion resources, but the last few years it has gotten harder and harder.

Can't wait to hear more about what Dave has in store.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mia & Lana's dad View Post
    Dave's OPPIX™ is amazing. Soon, we will be putting it to the test. Wait, the test is done. What_ever_craziness are you referring to, Ron?

This was a post from AVS on a similar thread I started in the Subwoofer forum after posting the pics of my setup. I am extremely happy with the sound quality of my Sierra-1's, so I disagree that I need better mains. However, that comment kinda stuck and irked me for awhile. As I mentioned previously, prior to getting the MBM's - I emailed Dave for help. Somewhere mixed up in that dialog, we touched upon exploring a new configuration but didn't go any further since I decided to pick up the first pair of MBM's. Well, you guys know that I didn't stop there and added two more MBM's. Do you guys see where this is going? Are you noticing a trend here?

Last week I shot an email to Dave to pick up where we left off on that new Sierra frontier.... it was a long shot and hopefully it is going to pay off in a major way.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas View Post
    I too, am completely confused Drewface. So if it's any consolation, you are not alone. What would really be nice would be some mysterious hint of an Ascend subwoofer. Come on Dave throw us a bone.
    i personally think dave has essentially confirmed he is working on a sub in other threads without saying it explicitly. the riddles being thrown around here, however, sound like something else... guess we'll just have to wait and see
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Amazing