Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: my Sierra-1 et al story

Default Re: my Sierra-1 et al story

Quote Originally Posted by Mia & Lana's dad View Post
    Sure Curtis! I'm just going through the w4s thread on avs and some say the ice amp modules need 400 hours of break-in? Did you find this to be true?
    I can't really say I noticed any break-in.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Cool! Now we have to find out if the Wyred4sound doctored modules sound any different than my undoctored modules.
    Right, I found a post by EJ Sarmento on avs about their implementation:

Quote Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post
    There are many sonic differences between our amplifier and the D-SONIC. The main reasons are held within our direct-coupled, balanced, dual FET input stage (input buffer). Not only does this raise the input impedance to 61.9K ohms which allows source equipment to easily and accurately drive the amplifier.

The standard ICE modules which are found in the D-SONIC amplifiers have 8K ohms on the positive input and 10K ohms on the negative input to the ICE amp. So if you’re using RCA’s for instance, your source would be driving an 8,000 ohm load which isn’t really bad, but much harder to drive than 61.9K ohms. The lower impedance your source has to drive, the more you will experience lower volume levels, and slightly higher distortion going into your amplifier. This normally changes the way a preamp can amplify the signal applied, thus giving you less than optimal sound.

Balanced amplifiers (differential, driven from + and – signals) have a much better performance when driven balanced, which ours does. All the parts you will find on our input buffer are of the best quality. We use Dale Rn55D copper leaded resistors, Wima, and MUSE audio grade capacitors, and a thick traced PCB to connect everything. Audio signal doesn’t sound as good through standard magnetic steel leaded resistors, and electrolytic capacitors.

Inside the FETs on all of our input buffers, there is a voltage to current conversion. This is where we get the sweeter sound. The way a FET works is the current that flows from the output (the drain to source current) is controlled by the voltage on the input (the gate). This has a softening effect that complements the slight brightness and edgy sound of the Class D amplifier. It tends to make everything softer, smoother, and accurate. Given that the function of the amplifier, our input stage (buffer) has unity gain (no gain produced), and is ultra transparent.

We also perform modifications to the modules in every amplifier to enhance its’ performance. We bypass critical input coupling caps to allow audio to freely flow through while still allowing for DC protection, and “beef-up” the servo (feedback) circuit for enhanced bottom-end extension. Every module is connected to the binding posts with 14AWG 99.9% OFC high strand pure copper paralleled with 14AWG high strand PURE silver wire.

One of my favorite benefits with this amplifier is the sound stage, and AWSOME imaging. If the imaging is correct, you should be able to listen to your speakers R/L, and not hear each one as being separate. Instead, they should blend together and sound like one, half way between the two. Sound stage depths are also much more prominent. You should be able to hear differences vertically, horizontally, and even depth (front to back). Your speakers would obviously have to be able to produce these as well, but nearly all hi-end loudspeakers should be able to produce such results.

Another option that our amplifier has over ALL the competition is the built in active crossovers. A good read for FYI knowledge would be http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm. This would mainly be used for the purpose of using our amplifier in a Bi-amp or Tri-amp set-up, which GREATLY improves sound quality. NO OTHER AMPLIFIER OFFERS THIS FEATURE, to my knowledge.

There many benefits on using our built-in active crossovers from passive crossovers, even on speakers that already have built-in crossovers. Unfortunately, I must post that in another post to keep this one from taking the complete page.

EJ Sarmento
    sales@wyred4sound.com
    www.wyred4sound.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I can't really say I noticed any break-in.
    I found a little more info regarding "uptime" getting them up to operating temps said to sound their best vs. being off for awhile.

Coming from a family of engineers.....my Dad and three uncles (Mom's brothers), I always find it interesting when someone takes a highly engineered product and claims to improve it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Conversations among my Dad and uncles were often interesting to me, and very boring to others in the family.....I bet something like this would stir a great conversation among my two uncles with EE degrees (one of them loves the classic 340's at my Parents').
    -curtis

just finished installing and recalibrating the system with the new mono's in place. As of 8:00pm tonight, the amps are in full effect and have made a measurable difference as evidenced by the level trims required compared to what they were previously with the M25 formerly powering the front 3 channels. Subjectively, I am confirming what everyone else before me has stated about ICE power. I've only played a few familiar tracks so far but they've opened up more with new levels of transparency, imaging, depth and detail. I really didn't know what to expect but I immediately heard a difference compared to the only amp I've experienced in my room to date. The M25 sound quality is superb at 160wpc but it fatally clipped a couple times in my early days with the Sierra's due to my insatiable desire for playing them too loud for its own good. For those that have followed my follies, you're familiar with the insanity that plagues me. I'm pleased to report that I feel that the fever has broken for the time being and these new amps are exactly what the doctor ordered. The Wyred4Sound SX-1000's are truly ICE-ing on the cake.
    Last edited by Mia & Lana's dad; 06-27-2008 at 08:36 PM.

You can't judge by the trim levels the relative power between the two amps because the gain levels of the amps can be different.

Compared to your M25, I am sure your system is now more capable of louder and cleaner output.

Do your neighbors like you?
    -curtis

understood, I have observed that audyssey pings are a fixed value and gains/levels are ignored when in calibration mode. The response is measured and derives trim levels to match all channels in addition to the EQ'd response. Audyssey techs confirmed this when I inquired as to what I suspected going on. So, with nothing else changed in the system, the L/C/R trims are now 4-5db lower with the SX-1000's vs. M25 as set by Audyssey. Whether or not my interpretation of the data is correct, that is what I have to report as a before/after.

When the windows are shut the sound is pretty well contained. I haven't had any complaints so far from the neighbors.

At the levels you use for listening, I am sure you are experiencing MUCH improved dynamics with the new power driving the speakers.

I'm just waiting for you to get ICE all the way around.
    -curtis

I'm too predictable, aren't I..

Man, how did I miss this thread?

Awesome setup.
    Jon O.