Thread: Sierra-2ex v2 vs sierra LX center

Default Sierra-2ex v2 vs sierra LX center

I have sierra-2ex v2 LR and an svs sub.
    I wanted to add a centre channel.
    sierra-2ex v2 would be natural choice.
    But with sierra-LX available now, i am including towards it.
    Since i will be using it for 90% movies, midrange clarity is utmost important.
    I also have horizon titan in mind if space permits but likely space will be an issue.

Please recommend.

Default Re: Sierra-2ex v2 vs sierra LX center

Quote Originally Posted by vicky View Post
    I have sierra-2ex v2 LR and an svs sub.
    I wanted to add a centre channel.
    sierra-2ex v2 would be natural choice.
    But with sierra-LX available now, i am including towards it.
    Since i will be using it for 90% movies, midrange clarity is utmost important.
    I also have horizon titan in mind if space permits but likely space will be an issue.

Please recommend.
    Hi Vicky,

Best choice would be the Horizon (either Titan dome or Raal ribbon), next best choice would be the Sierra-2EX V2. The LX center is terrific, but the Sierra-2EX V2 center does have an advantage in midrange clarity.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I was in the same situation as you about 6 months ago but had the Sierra 2EX V1 as LR at the time. I wasn't that crazy about the V1s so decided to get the Sierra LX as center. It was a good match and I was happy then.

Then later I upgraded the V1s to the V2s and thought that was tremendous upgrade and really impressed with them. I'd say I like the V2s better than LXs so regretted doing this. I should have gotten the Sierra 2EX V2 instead as the center.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Vicky,

Best choice would be the Horizon (either Titan dome or Raal ribbon), next best choice would be the Sierra-2EX V2. The LX center is terrific, but the Sierra-2EX V2 center does have an advantage in midrange clarity.

Hope this helps!
    Where would the Duo fit in the lineup? Would the other speakers be ahead of the Duo for midrange clarity?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Where would the Duo fit in the lineup? Would the other speakers be ahead of the Duo for midrange clarity?
    There are a lot of variables to this. How far off-axis would listeners be sitting? Sub or no sub? Distance from the center to the main listening position?

I have made a few posts comparing centers somewhere in this forum.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

DaveF,
    I remember that post but couldn't find it as I was going to link it in reply to the question.

Just a thought, maybe add an FAQ section to the website?
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    DaveF,
    I remember that post but couldn't find it as I was going to link it in reply to the question.

Just a thought, maybe add an FAQ section to the website?
    I can't find the post either, so I'll post a quick summary of my thoughts on this.

If using a subwoofer:

If sitting mostly on-axis with the center, for midrange clarity I would describe Duo center and Sierra-2EXV2 center as equivalent, with the LX center just slightly behind.

If sitting horizontally off-axis from the center, by at least 15 degrees or more, Sierra-2EXV2 center than becomes the better option, followed by the LX center and then the Duo center.

If space constrained, the Duo center is obviously the best choice (it is quite small and compact)

If no subwoofer:

Sierra-2EXV2 center than Sierra-LX center and then Duo center.

Horizon center (all version) trumps all of these options, provided it is within budget and you have the space for it.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, dave. Maybe make it a sticky so easier to find next time?
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I can't find the post either, so I'll post a quick summary of my thoughts on this.

If using a subwoofer:

If sitting mostly on-axis with the center, for midrange clarity I would describe Duo center and Sierra-2EXV2 center as equivalent, with the LX center just slightly behind.

If sitting horizontally off-axis from the center, by at least 15 degrees or more, Sierra-2EXV2 center than becomes the better option, followed by the LX center and then the Duo center.

If space constrained, the Duo center is obviously the best choice (it is quite small and compact)

If no subwoofer:

Sierra-2EXV2 center than Sierra-LX center and then Duo center.

Horizon center (all version) trumps all of these options, provided it is within budget and you have the space for it.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you. This is very helpful information. Just to clarify, in this comparison you are orienting the EX V2 and LX horizontally. Right? Most can’t accommodate those as vertically oriented speakers or else they can just get the Horizon, which is superior.