Thread: Surround channels for Salk SuperCharged SongTowers?

Default Surround channels for Salk SuperCharged SongTowers?

Hello, last year I got a pair of Salk Supercharged SongTowers along with a Supercharged SongCenter and F12 sub, I totally love the setup. 2.1 for music, and 3.1 for Movies/PS5, they're insanely good.

I think now I would like to add two rear surround channels for Blu Rays and PS5. In a perfect world I would get the supercharged SongSurrounds, but that's likely to be around $4,500 which I think is a bit too much given how much I'll be able to appreciate them (as it is I often need to keep it at a reasonable volume and I have no surround sound music, mainly vinyl). In addition they're quite large and I'll need to either wall mount or put on a small wall mounted shelf.

So I'm wondering if there's a more cost effective option that will match fairly well with the RAAL/SEAS setup I've got in the Salk SuperCharged speakers. I'm thinking Ascend Acoustics may be worth trying out? They have both the Sierra 2EX and the Luna V2, both seem to be similar to the Salk offering at a much lower price and given they'd be perched ~6' up in the corners of my living room it's less important that they visually match.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Default Re: Surround channels for Salk SuperCharged SongTowers?

+1 for vinyl.

As to the surrounds, either of the two would work. I'm currently using S2's as my surrounds. I previously used the HTM200's as surrounds (moved the S2 to surround when I got my Towers) and they worked great, as well.

I assume you want to stay with Ribbon tweeters - if not, either the S1 or LX would also work.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

While I'm certainly not opposed to leaving ribbon tweeters, my thought is if I'm going to change brands I could at least keep the same/similar drivers by going with the S2 or Lunas, which may create a better timber match? Looking at specs though, I'm actually now thinking Lunas will be better since I x-over at around 80Hz.

Luna's would work.
    I've not heard the Salks, so not sure how their ribbon would blend with the non-ribbon tweeter. It is a RAAL though, so my assumption is a dome would be ok considering Ascends are well matched timbre-wise between the RAALs (although, as I understand, custom for Ascend) and domes.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    Hello, last year I got a pair of Salk Supercharged SongTowers along with a Supercharged SongCenter and F12 sub, I totally love the setup. 2.1 for music, and 3.1 for Movies/PS5, they're insanely good.

I think now I would like to add two rear surround channels for Blu Rays and PS5. In a perfect world I would get the supercharged SongSurrounds, but that's likely to be around $4,500 which I think is a bit too much given how much I'll be able to appreciate them (as it is I often need to keep it at a reasonable volume and I have no surround sound music, mainly vinyl). In addition they're quite large and I'll need to either wall mount or put on a small wall mounted shelf.

So I'm wondering if there's a more cost effective option that will match fairly well with the RAAL/SEAS setup I've got in the Salk SuperCharged speakers. I'm thinking Ascend Acoustics may be worth trying out? They have both the Sierra 2EX and the Luna V2, both seem to be similar to the Salk offering at a much lower price and given they'd be perched ~6' up in the corners of my living room it's less important that they visually match.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?
    Our Luna's would be a terrific choice, they have unbelievably wide dispersion and they will indeed match very well your SongTowers.

One question, about how far would you be sitting from each surround speaker?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Our Luna's would be a terrific choice, they have unbelievably wide dispersion and they will indeed match very well your SongTowers.

One question, about how far would you be sitting from each surround speaker?
    Hi Dave, thanks for the response! The center of my couch would be about 8-9 feet from either rear surround, a bit closer for either side of the couch.

I'd go for the Lunas. I've used them as main speakers and surrounds. The V2 Lunas are superb and work well as surround speakers. Wide dispersion as Dave mentioned and they offer clean and clear sound quality that is very transparent to the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    Hi Dave, thanks for the response! The center of my couch would be about 8-9 feet from either rear surround, a bit closer for either side of the couch.
    Perfect - I would say Luna's are the best choice for you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com