Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Classic" HTM-200 vs HTM-200SE

Default "Classic" HTM-200 vs HTM-200SE

In the course of researching Ascends, I got into a conversation with someone interested in selling a pair of HTM-200's. He's upgraded to 170's.

I'm considering buying them to use as back surrounds in a 7.1 system. Since the 200's use a different tweeter than the SE's (from what I can gather), I'm concerned about timbre differences between them and SE's I'm planning to purchase. Would there be enough difference to warrant concern?

Also, what would you consider a fair price for a pair in excellent condition? He's asking $165. Considering he's the second owner, I'm thinking that might be a little high. If I was to pay that much, I'd need to see pics. Any thoughts?

Doug

Default Re: "Classic" HTM-200 vs HTM-200SE

Half off sounds fair to me provided nothing is wrong with them. Heck, I'd be suspicious that something was wrong if he was asking less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    Half off sounds fair to me provided nothing is wrong with them. Heck, I'd be suspicious that something was wrong if he was asking less than that.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure how much the classic model sold for. He's emailing me some pics. This will be an inexpensive way to stick my toe in the Ascend water, though I don't feel the need. I just wish I had more time to finish the HT faster!

Doug

I have used classic CBM-170's with SE fronts and now with Sierra fronts. I think it has worked well, but I only use the rears for movies, not music.

Default I Pulled the Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    I corresponded with the seller and he sent some pics. The speakers are in great shape. There were a few minor imperfections that the seller went to lengths to point out.

We came to a mutually beneficial agreement. I'm looking forward to receiving them. I'll post impressions once they arrive. A much larger purchase will partially hinge on what I think of these.

Doug

They're awesome for back surround duty. I hate that I don't have a better solution for my center channel though than an HTM-200SE. I'd have to redo my entertainment system to be able to have a place for a larger center.

Default The "Classics" Arrived

The HTM-200's were here when I got home from work. I've posted a user review, but in a nutshell I'm blown away at how good these speakers sound. My HT will be outfitted with Ascends for sure!

Doug

Default Re: The "Classics" Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    The HTM-200's were here when I got home from work. I've posted a user review, but in a nutshell I'm blown away at how good these speakers sound. My HT will be outfitted with Ascends for sure!

Doug

Yes they sound great. I'm using them as surrounds, and 340SEs as mains.

I WAS using them as mains, but they were a little too power-hungry for my amp. The 340s are far more efficient. The HTM-200s take about as much power as the Sierras do.

I have owned every model of ascend speakers except the original 200's. The latest addition after my sierras were the 200SE's. All I can say about these little guys is that I truly enjoy listening to them almost as much as my sierras. They are in a bedroom setup and sound phenominal for their size. Very accurate bass and crystal clear highs. They really only give up the mids/output compared to the higher line ascends. I must say, for a 2 ch bedroom setup, they exceeded my initial expectations.

For my next dedicated theater, these will be used in place of my current 170SE's for the fact that they sound nearly as good, they are smaller(sealed), and cheaper of course. I may even mount some in-ceiling rather than using typical in-ceiling speakers.

Dave F. , I can't say enough good things about these and the their bigger brother of course.........kudos

I probably have no reason to ever upgrade until you come out with the next bigger and better thing!

Brandon

Default HT Progress

Just thought I'd post a link to photos of the HT room. I've added a few more recently.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dougbrucemac/HomeTheater

Doug