Thread: hda30 v. oppo for standard dvd upconversion

Default hda30 v. oppo for standard dvd upconversion

So HD-DVD is dead, but you can pick up an HD-A30 for $130, including shipping. I hear these are good upscaling players. The other option is to think about just getting an Oppo DVD player (I guess the 980 or 981--not totally sure the differences there) but these are more expensive than the HDDVD player.

Right now I'm just using an xbox360 for DVDs, which is not so good. So I'd like to get a dedicated DVD player. Any thoughts on upscaling and other features between the Oppos and the Toshiba A30? Thanks.

Default Re: hda30 v. oppo for standard dvd upconversion

At this point, I think I would wait to see what Oppo comes out with in regards to a Blu-Ray player.
    -curtis

oppo just announced their flagship universal player, the 983, for $399.00

it is being called an excellent upconverting player rivaling players costing thousands of dollars. No Blu-ray though. might want to wait, though a Blu-ray player may cost more.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

thanks for the replies. guess i'll just deal with the xbox for standard dvds for now. it's not great, but it will do. I'm not really that big on embracing blu-ray and would prefer downloadable content to take off but I still think we have a while to wait for that, especially with regards to HD content. I would consider just getting a ps3 but I don't think its upconversion is going to be that much better than the xbox. I guess I'll wait and see what Oppo does in the blu-ray arena.

Quote Originally Posted by ebh View Post
    thanks for the replies. guess i'll just deal with the xbox for standard dvds for now. it's not great, but it will do. I'm not really that big on embracing blu-ray and would prefer downloadable content to take off but I still think we have a while to wait for that, especially with regards to HD content. I would consider just getting a ps3 but I don't think its upconversion is going to be that much better than the xbox. I guess I'll wait and see what Oppo does in the blu-ray arena.
    i don't own a ps3, but i have read numerous reviews saying that its standard DVD playback is quite good, and easily better than the xbox 360's. i'm personally waiting to get one to see if they enhance its blu-ray capabilities at all on the hardware side, as well as add some of the features back in that were removed from the launch models. (ditching the backwards compatibility was one of the stupidest moves they've made, in my opinion)
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Oppo is a great company. I had to return my 970 for an adjustment or replacement of the CD laser, and even though I was beyond warranty (it is one year), they paid for the shipping (FEDEX) both ways and got it back to me in 2 weeks.

I use a DLP front-projector, and the PS3 does a much better job with standard def than Oppo, I also have an Hd-A1, and upconversion is about at par with the PS3.

Forget all big-box upconvertors - they really are a waste of money.

As an added note, I feel that people who think upconverted DVDs looks as good as Blu-Ray/HD-DVD have either poor eyesight, or horrible TVs.

A + for Oppo - it also allows to play region free and PAL DVDs...

Quote Originally Posted by bauska View Post
    A + for Oppo - it also allows to play region free and PAL DVDs...
    Plus it will play DVD-Audio and SACD's. Not sure if the PS3 or HD-A30 will or not.

...also, I would really be surprised if a PS3 does a "better" job at standard definition than an Oppo. I would think that at best it may do as well...but "better"? I doubt it.

Regardless, I love my Oppo 981 and the company is great to deal with.

I've seen Oppo with a plasma and they looked really great - better than PS3 upconversion (with latest firware) no. But as good in AB.

However, faroudja does not work well with DLP, so if you have a DLP front-projector, use a PS3 or an Hd-DVD player. BTW - there are some amazing music discs available only on Hd-DVD