Thread: Does this affect my speaker's performance? (Serria-1)

Default Does this affect my speaker's performance? (Serria-1)

Hi,

I had these Sierras for about 3 weeks although mostly i've had the grills on. I remember when i first got them, on the left speaker's tweeter, I saw what I thought was a speck of dust; I didn't really think about. Just yesteday i was using microfiber cloth to remove dust on the speaker and I saw the little piece of dust/fiber and i tried to just blow it off.

Since it didn't come off i looked a little closer and it didn't really look like a piece of dust anymore, so i gently tried to nudge it off (thought it was a big piece of dust?) and noticed it wasn't moving at all. The more I look it looks more like some kind of gunk, maybe some kind of glue? I always hear about Paradigm speakers with bits of glue still stuck to the drivers, and this could be just a piece of glue that dried on the tweeter during production.

Anyway, I was wondering if this would effect performance in anyway? It's not that big of a deal cosmetically, i don't really sit that close to the speakers, but there is a nagging feeling (maybe paranoia?) that there's something wrong with the speaker.

Here's what it looks like (sorry, my digicam is ancient):

Default Re: Does this affect my speaker's performance? (Serria-1)

Sorry for the size of the photos! I'm a klutz and have no idea how to reduce the size of these beasts, LOL.

Man those are the worst photos I've ever seen!

Hehe, anyways, try using the corner of a piece of paper to gently pick it off. I'm really picky when it comes to these kinds of things and this technique works pretty well. Just be gentle.

Hmm, you know what, that actually did work. Although it seems to have revealed another problem...

After removing that bit of glue, what was left was like a 1mm depression on the tweeter about the size of that bit of glue. I'm almost certain this wasn't related to the removal of the glue bit, since I didn't use any pressure at all.

Will this affect performance? -.- (Gah, it's one thing after another, I'm cursed with everything I buy, lol).

Btw, I think I just voided my warrantee by scrapping off the glue.
    Last edited by Asliang; 02-28-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Gah, this is too bad, my 170SEs were in perfect condition.

it won't affect performance at all.

Give Ascend a call and ask.
    -curtis

Hmm I read some online forums regarding scarred tweeters...looks like there's really nothing I can do about this unless there's some new DIY method...some tweeters apparently can tear over time from depressions/dents (although it could be just a bunch of dudes speculating online)...I guess it's either exchange or...if that's not available...maybe audiogon time.
    Last edited by Asliang; 02-28-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Hey, thanks Dave!

He offered to send me a new tweeter in the mail (or it could be just the diaphragm, not sure). That's amazing customer service, especially considering my ineptitude. Thanks Ascend!
    Last edited by Asliang; 03-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.

can't really tell what it is. Try using macro on the camera (and lowest resolution).