Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epos ELS-3 vs. CBM-170?

I read a recent post on another forum about an individual wondering about recievers with settable ohm switchs. The consensus seemed to be that, if anything, sound would degrade when switching to a 4 ohm setting. Most the posters said they still run an 8 ohm setting even if the speakers are rated at 4 ohm. If I get time I'll try to find the thread and post a link.

Randy

This is the link I was referring to over in the Rocket Forum. Scroll down to a post by BigWally. http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=ohm

Thanks Lou-the-dog for link and info. It helps.

It's been days since I posted my thoughts about epos els-3. But regardless of their lackness of clarity in highs, their ability of throwing big sound stage is still impressive in memory whenever I listen my CBMs. So I think it is time to think about pros and cons of my CBMs(I have owned one pair of this since last November). It will be fair also.

Pros: clear vocals, solid midrange
    Cons: sound stage, shh sound at some high pitch female vocal or some instruments(I suspect my Yamaha receiver at this though but I am not sure yet)

Bob,

Do you think you might get a chance to A/B the ELS-3 and CBM-170?

-curtis

Unfortunately, I could just switch them one by one as I mentioned earlier. But because I am so familier with the sound of my CBMs, it was not difficult to find differences.

true...but different rooms and positions can play a big part on the soundstage/dispurtion....and even on the same electronics.

-curtis

I happened to read a short review of ELS-3 like below.

http://reviews.iwon.com/pscAudioRevi...3_1594crx.aspx

"..I just acquired a pair of Epos ELS-3 for another room. These are excellent speakers, and I am not sure which I like better, but they are very revealing and a bit more 3-dimensional sounding. They also have a big sound for being so tiny. It is interesting that played in the same room with the same electronics, The NHT and EPOS both sound clear and full. In another room with different electronics (NAD 2150 amp/Soundcraftsman pre-amp), the highs on the Epos become somewhat brassy and less clear, while the base remains good. I Haven't tried the NHTs in that room. Goes to show that many variables contribute to a sound quality."