Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Default Re: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Dave,

Have you any thoughts on the icepowered amps from D-sonic or wyred 4 sound? I just read up on those and they look very promissing.
    I know curtis has one(different brand though) for his front sierras. I am curious as to the benfits of these over more common a/b class amps.
    I don't have any experience with those particular brands (D-sonic or wyred 4 sound) but I have spent extensive time with ICE. I strongly doubt there would be any sonic differences between any of the ICE based amplifiers - it is a closed system, modifications to the circuitry are not possible. I like the way it sounds, the dynamics are remarkable and there is an open / transparent sound to them.

I am presently comparing an ASP 500 module to something quite special. I was able to detect a slight difference in female vocals between the two, which of the two is truer to the source I haven't quite determined.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, I should drop my 1000ASP based amp some time for you to check out.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Showoff!
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't have any experience with those particular brands (D-sonic or wyred 4 sound) but I have spent extensive time with ICE. I strongly doubt there would be any sonic differences between any of the ICE based amplifiers - it is a closed system, modifications to the circuitry are not possible. I like the way it sounds, the dynamics are remarkable and there is an open / transparent sound to them.

I am presently comparing an ASP 500 module to something quite special. I was able to detect a slight difference in female vocals between the two, which of the two is truer to the source I haven't quite determined.

Interesting. I appreciate your feedback, always informative. I picked up 3 more sierras on the used market, now totaling 6. These will be for fronts in the theater room. Someday I would love to check out the ICE amps for this room rather than the yamaha. I think if the ratings hold true thus far, we will see this technology take off in the upcoming years.

Enjoy your weekend everyone,
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Not if you expect to ever get it back

Strongly doubt there would be any sonic difference between the 1000ASP and the 500ASP modules (other than 3dB more headroom). I could never listen at those volume levels whereby the differences would be discernable.

That being said, drop it off anytime
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have a pair of CBM 170s.
    I'm going to match them with a pair of av123 MFW-15s.
    If the SPL numbers are good enough with 1 MFW-15, I will move the other upstairs to pair with my older KEF bookshelf speakers.
    The MFW-15 is quite a step above the offerings from SVS and HSU for comparable price points.

- jronne

I have a pair of CBM 170s.
    I'm going to match them with a pair of av123 MFW-15.
    If I have enough SPL I will move one upstairs with my older KEFs bookshelf speakers.
    The MFW-15 seems quite a step above the offering from SVS and HSU for comparable price points.

- jronne

I fully expected this thread to be full of people running subless!

That being said, I run Sierra-1's for L/C/R and I find the bass response more than adequate. I have a Polk sub that I was going to use, but never bothered since I've been pleasantly surprised with the low end right out of the Serras.

Personally I'd hold off until you receive your Ascends. You'll have a better idea of what your needs are after that. (Of course, since the OP was over a month ago, you no doubt received them already - so I'm curious what you ended up with!)

So Dave, will you be offering any ICE based modules that you are testing in near future?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattopia View Post
    I fully expected this thread to be full of people running subless!
    i'm currently running subless except for crazy action movies and a select few songs i like to listen to every now and then, i don't feel like i'm missing a whole lot. doesn't hurt that i've never had a sub in my system... harder to miss something you've never had...

i had a hsu in my plans at one point, but then the infamous "stay tuned" message went up here, and i decided to wait to see what ascend does in the future before i go and buy a sub from somewhere else.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5