Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Default Re: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I tend to swap subwoofers quite often. Right now, no sub at all with my Sierra-1. I was using a prototype model for a while for various testing etc.

WHOA! Who's cat was that??

And why is this bag in here....
    Jon O.

I use a Wharfedale Diamond SW 150 - although I have not yet received my Ascends, and am for the moment using lesser, but not so bad speakers.

British subs tend to have things in common:

Negative:

1 - They are not loud. My sub starts to distort well before ear-hurting volumes.

2 - They do not go down very low - mine goes down to 30hrz before a drop (in room this probaboly translates to about 25hrz)

Now you may think these are big negatives, but to me they are not. Little in recorded media goes below 29hrz or so - it almost never happens. In my loft, I could not play my sub at volumes anywhere near the point at which it distorts without seriously alienating the neighbors.

The positives are amazing:

1 - Is very, very tight and musical - no unpleasant boom at all. No port noise. Integrates very, very smoothly. Very good for classical music and Jazz. IMO, a sub should only be truly noticed when you suddenly turn it off, and the Wharfedale, after about an hour of fussing, meets this criteria.

2 - Was very innexpensive used in mint condition.

3 - Looks nice, and is not too big. (I know, it's not important, but still a plus.)

I have not heard SVS subs, but I have heard all the big box brands. Big box subs, at any price, are boomy noise-makers compared to my Warfedale.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    They still have it.

What you can do is try to turn the subwoofer output on your receiver up, and the volume adjustment on the subwoofer down. This way the subwoofer is "seeing" a higher signal and may activate sooner/easier.
    I took a peek at my dad's recently purchased HSU STF-1 this weekend and confirmed what I was thinking when I originally mentioned it:

The latest HSU's can be set to off, auto, or on. "On" would mean it stays on 24/7. If i had his, it'd be set to "on" for sure.

I wonder when Ascend can push their own subwoofers...a same brand system is the best,I think

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    On a similar note, not to be much off topic....
    Dave F. What amp/processor do you use with your sierras? Just curious......currently amp shopping
    At home, I generally use a Rotel RSP-1066 that I have been pleased with over the years. On occasion, for pure analog A/B testing, I have a marantz pre-amp that allows me to do precise level matching for different sets of speakers.

I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE. I also use a Bryston 2 channel and a much loved ADA PTM-6150 for multi-channel. What I love about the ADA is that it runs about 50 watts of pure class-A. Sound quality is exceptional and it is the only amplifier that I have yet to blow up either by shorting outputs or doing some other careless act...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE.
    Can we start an Ascend digital amp rumor?

At home, I generally use a Rotel RSP-1066 that I have been pleased with over the years. On occasion, for pure analog A/B testing, I have a marantz pre-amp that allows me to do precise level matching for different sets of speakers.

I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE. I also use a Bryston 2 channel and a much loved ADA PTM-6150 for multi-channel. What I love about the ADA is that it runs about 50 watts of pure class-A. Sound quality is exceptional and it is the only amplifier that I have yet to blow up either by shorting outputs or doing some other careless act...
    Thanks Dave! Sounds like you enjoy a variety of gear. I just bought a used proceed amp3. Should be interesting. Supposedly these benefited from the trickle down affect from the mother company that made Mark Levinson amps. The sierras are excited for it to arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Can we start an Ascend digital amp rumor?
    Nope --what I am playing with is not ICE, similar in design, possibly even higher peformance (based on the people I have talked with and the white papers) and this is fully customizable... My initial experience with this technology is quite good. I am going to compare directly to ICE in the next few days...

At this point, this is all I can really discuss. You know me
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Have you any thoughts on the icepowered amps from D-sonic or wyred 4 sound? I just read up on those and they look very promissing.
    I know curtis has one(different brand though) for his front sierras. I am curious as to the benfits of these over more common a/b class amps.

Sorry to hijack again,

Brandon

Ascend 340 legacy across the front and htm200 for rears.
    HSU VTF3-MKII

Works nice for me