Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Default Re: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

I'm thinking of going with either the Epik Castle or the the dual MFW-15 package. A Few of things have been bothering me about the MFW-15's though.

1) There are a few reports of the spikes not having enough threading into the sub and may break off if the sub is tipped.
    1a)I know this is super picky, but look at the pics of the rear of the sub. The dial area template must have been crooked it is slightly tilted to the right.

2) I also heard something about jackhammer noises coming out of the sub but I believe the user had the amp replaced and it works fine now.

I'm using a Sony SAW-M40, (12" ported, 120watts) which was THE budget sub 8 years ago. It's a bit boomy, but shakes my 13x15x8 sealed room very well for home theater use.

My plan is to install an Infinite Baffle sub with four 15" drivers, and feed it about 1000 watts. IBs are supposed to provide very clean, uncolored sound, so they should match the Ascend 340SEs very well.

It will be a "bit" of an upgrade, no doubt.

I also have the Sony SA-WM40 and now that I have the Ascends, I feel like I need an upgrade. The Sony actually doesn't do too bad with HT, but it worked much better in the old house as the room was about 1/4-1/3 the size of the current one.

I went ahead and bit the bullet on a SVS PB12-NSD (it should be here Friday). If it's not enough, I will add a second one closer to summer.

I'll let everyone know how it compares to the Sony...

By the way, the Ascends make me smile everytime I listen to them. Everything I read about them is true, and they aren't even broken in yet.

I'm using a VTF-2 classic I purchased through Ascend. I feel the same as someone earlier in the thread in that the VTF-2 is way more sub that I probably need given that I have it at about 20% output at the most with one port plugged (for maximum extension).

The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-on/auto-off circuitry which makes a clicking sound every time it clicks on. Also, it takes a modest level of volume and/or bass for it to click on meaning at times I have no low bass sound at low volumes! I understand they removed this "feature" from later HSU models, not to my surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-on/auto-off circuitry which makes a clicking sound every time it clicks on. Also, it takes a modest level of volume and/or bass for it to click on meaning at times I have no low bass sound at low volumes! I understand they removed this "feature" from later HSU models, not to my surprise.
    They still have it.

What you can do is try to turn the subwoofer output on your receiver up, and the volume adjustment on the subwoofer down. This way the subwoofer is "seeing" a higher signal and may activate sooner/easier.
    -curtis

Anyone know what sub dave is using in his home? I trust his ear more than my own after hearing his products.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    They still have it.

What you can do is try to turn the subwoofer output on your receiver up, and the volume adjustment on the subwoofer down. This way the subwoofer is "seeing" a higher signal and may activate sooner/easier.
    Oh.

Ok, I'll try that. I guess these subs "vampire" too much electricity to keep on 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    Oh.

Ok, I'll try that. I guess these subs "vampire" too much electricity to keep on 24/7?
    I have read some people keeping their's on 24/7. I think it is more of an issue with the older amps because they were class A/B where as the newer ones are more class D.
    -curtis

Mine is on 24/7, but that's because the ACI subs do not have auto-on features. I haven't had a chance to measure the idle power draw, but I've been meaning to pick up one of the Kill-a-watt units to start measuring various items.

my old psb sub did not have an auto-on feature, so it remained on 24/7. if i went on vacation i would switch it off. they draw very little current when at idle. my UFW-10 from Rocket had auto-on, but i think it needed to be more sensitive, similar to what you described. My Rythmik sub turns on with no problem, very quickly.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables