Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Default Re: What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

I am using an Epik Valor, their 15 inch sealed sub with Sierra's L/C/R and Usher S-520's as rears. I have the fronts crossed at 60 and the rears at 80. I've had the Valor about two months and have been very,very happy with it. Tight and articulate and goes deep.

I am searching for a sub, and I can't seem to decide between sealed or ported. Can someone give me an idea of the sound characteristics of each design.

Sealed
    Epik Valor
    eD A7S - 450
    SVS SB12-Plus

Ported
    Epik Knight
    eD A5 - 350
    AV123 MFW-15
    HSU VTF-2 MK 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pilk View Post
    What do you guys think of running 2 AV123 X-subs under the Sierra's? For $400 if is certainly a good deal. I realize they are not HT crazy material, but my goal is SQ and was wondering if anyone had got a listen to these little subs.

The SB12+ from SVS would also work, but duals for that is over $1300! Any good recommendations on sealed subs 15" wide or less/14" deep or less? The Sierra's would be just above the subs. No high volume stuff for the most part.
    Are you set on dual subs as opposed to single?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Are you set on dual subs as opposed to single?
    Not really. I've got the MFW15 on order but am considering small duals to keep things stealthy for my other half. It is our main living room. If it was an HT room I would probably go for two MFW15's and earplugs. Suggestions? I've listened to some subs in a couple Hifi shops locally and quite frankly, the sound quality is not at all what I want. I came home tonight and listened to my Sierras and I love the sound as it, however, there has got to be a quality sub(s) that can reinforce the low end without bringing the 'subwoofer' sound. I have read on several sights that duals can help smooth out the response on the subs. Small duals would allow close location to the LR mains (if that even matters).
    I've always been much happier in my car audio with tight, controlled bass with plenty of headroom. I think some of the 'efficient' ported boxes people are crazy about are sloppy sounding and are easily identified as 'subs'. I'm am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Pilk; 02-21-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam AV View Post
    Now that my Ascends (340SEs in front and 170SEs in rear) are on the UPS truck headed my way I thought I should start working towards a sub. What are you matching with your Ascends?

My room is about 5200 CF and I've been leaning towards the SVS PB12-NSD or HSU VTF3-MKIII. Is anyone using one of these?
    I'm probably the only person here running an ascend subwoofer. Technically it's a piece of cardboard with "Ascend sub goes here" written on it. But it is wired, has a reasonable footprint, and comes with an excellent price. I can promise the cardboard adds NOTHING to the sound that isn't present in the recording. Crisp, brown, lightweight, and super easy to repair and find parts for.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    I'm probably the only person here running an ascend subwoofer. Technically it's a piece of cardboard with "Ascend sub goes here" written on it. But it is wired, has a reasonable footprint, and comes with an excellent price. I can promise the cardboard adds NOTHING to the sound that isn't present in the recording. Crisp, brown, lightweight, and super easy to repair and find parts for.
    pic?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    Awesome.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_runner View Post
    I am searching for a sub, and I can't seem to decide between sealed or ported. Can someone give me an idea of the sound characteristics of each design.

Sealed
    Epik Valor
    eD A7S - 450
    SVS SB12-Plus

Ported
    Epik Knight
    eD A5 - 350
    AV123 MFW-15
    HSU VTF-2 MK 3
    I've researched all these. Before I began the quest for the small sealed subs I'm on now, I had decided I wanted the Epik Valor for price and sealed. I settled on a Outlaw Compact-1 to save money...sent it back as it turned out to be a dud. I wonder if it had functioned properly if I would have kept it and saved my sanity.

Then the firestorm started with the MFW15 and I put an order in to get a place on the que. Its really not that much bigger than most of the subs from HSU, SVS, Outlaw and apparently it is a definite step up at a similar price point. I still may stick with my order but the thought of dual sealed subs has me searching. The SB12+ seems to be highly spoken of by guys who own or have owned it. Not the HT monster that the MFW15 is but it's compact, tight, musical...not cheap, but appealing imo.

If SVS had a real dual price break like AC123 does, I probably would pull the trigger tomorrow and be done with it. Shopping is half the fun but his is ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilk View Post
    Not really. I've got the MFW15 on order but am considering small duals to keep things stealthy for my other half. It is our main living room. If it was an HT room I would probably go for two MFW15's and earplugs. Suggestions? I've listened to some subs in a couple Hifi shops locally and quite frankly, the sound quality is not at all what I want. I came home tonight and listened to my Sierras and I love the sound as it, however, there has got to be a quality sub(s) that can reinforce the low end without bringing the 'subwoofer' sound. I have read on several sights that duals can help smooth out the response on the subs. Small duals would allow close location to the LR mains (if that even matters).
    I've always been much happier in my car audio with tight, controlled bass with plenty of headroom. I think some of the 'efficient' ported boxes people are crazy about are sloppy sounding and are easily identified as 'subs'. I'm am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks.
    The best location for the subwoofer is rarely the same place the speakers are located.

I think the quality of the bass of the Sierras is outstanding, so it will take an equally good sounding subwoofer to blend perfectly.

I just got home from the UCLA baskeball game and listening to my Sierras right now!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The best location for the subwoofer is rarely the same place the speakers are located.

I think the quality of the bass of the Sierras is outstanding, so it will take an equally good sounding subwoofer to blend perfectly.

I just got home from the UCLA baskeball game and listening to my Sierras right now!
    Bummed on two accounts...you got to see UCLA BB, and my wife made me turn down the Sierra's...something about the kids having to go to school in the morning.