Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my Classics - SE or Sierra?

Default Upgrading my Classics - SE or Sierra?

First time poster, long time Ascend user here. Before asking for advice, I'll tell everyone my funny story.

My original Ascend lineup was a 5.1 system:
    -- 4 classic 170
    -- 1 classic 340 center
    -- 1 original Hsu VTF-3 (a pipe organist, I do love bass)

The 170s were mounted on those precarious Z-stands that Ascend used to sell. These have proven to be incompatible with my relatives. A while ago, my mother came to visit and managed to knock a 170 to the floor. Finding the woofer magnet separated and rattling around inside the cabinet, I tossed the 170 into the trash. As you might imagine, you get a very strange feeling when you throw away an Ascend!

I bought a pair of the new 170SE and put them up front. Having an extra 170 classic, I thought about adding a rear channel. Ultimately, laziness prevailed, and I put the extra speaker in storage -- or so I thought.

Fast-forward to recent times. While my in-laws were visiting, the male decided to "fix" a faucet in my upstairs bathroom -- without first turning off the water mains. The ensuing flood did over $7,000 damage to my home. During the cleanup, the second 170 was toppled. "It's OK," I thought, "I'll just grab my backup speaker." Nope. It was nowhere to be found. Further investigation discovered that it had been thrown away by a family member who had mistaken it for the first broken 170!

A lot can happen in five years...

So I'm left with my sub, a classic 340 and 170, and a pair of 170SEs. It's time to buy some new Ascends. My budget is about $1000. I figure I could buy 340SEs with pedestals for LRC, move the 170SEs to surround duty, and make the 340 classic my rear channel. Let's call this plan A. Those pedestals, filled with sand, should provide adequate tipover protection.

Plan B is to buy a pair of Sierra-1s (and stands) for LR. I'd keep the classic 340 in center. The 170SEs would again become surrounds, leaving the 170 classic for rear.

My HT is in a 15x17x8 room. 11x17 of this is used for HT. See the attached diagram. The huge projection screen limits speaker placement. I use this for 80% HT and 20% music, powered by an Outlaw 950/7100 combo.

My thought is that 340s in LRC -- plan A -- is best for me. I've been satisfied with the 170s thus far, although I do feel the need to up my treble EQ by a few dB. I guess I'm just not a "golden ears" type; as long as I am above the obvious junk for sale at the big-box stores, I'm happy. So I'm guessing the Sierra's are overkill, and I should just enjoy having the same very good speaker in LRC.

I guess I need someone to tell me I'm not making a horrible decision by sticking with the 340s over the Sierras.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Upgrading my Classics - SE or Sierra?

How about Plan C: Sell the 340 center and buy 3 Sierras.

I like plan "A" Having said that, this of course is my ht setup and I love it, although I have an STF-3 for a sub.
    I also own a pair of Sierra's for two channel, I have tried both, and for HT I prefer the 340SE's.
    I was just thinking today (way too much time on my hands lately) that of all the Ascends I own, the one I will never get rid of is the 340 SE center channel. It isn't that i don't like the others, it's just that this is easily the best center I have ever owned or heard for that matter.

Peace,

Jim

i haven't heard the sierras yet, but 340SEs across the front and 170SEs for surrounds is a GREAT system. also, the pedestal stands filled with sand are extremely sturdy. i dread any time i need to move them for some reason...

so... while i can't say for sure which one would be best for you, i can say you won't be going wrong with plan A, and that is probably the way i would go.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by J# Minor View Post
    First time poster, long time Ascend user here. Before asking for advice, I'll tell everyone my funny story.
    Welcome to the forum!

If your story is supposed to be funny, why am I crying?

Sorry for all your misfortune. I hope you had good home owner's insurance.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas View Post
    I like plan "A" Having said that, this of course is my ht setup and I love it, although I have an STF-3 for a sub.
    I also own a pair of Sierra's for two channel, I have tried both, and for HT I prefer the 340SE's.
    Peace,

Jim
    Jim,
    I'm building a dedicated HT and am waffling between Sierras and 340 SE's for L-C-R. Can you elaborate on why you prefer the 340's for HT? Can you also compare the two for 2 channel music? I doubt the HT will be the area where we sit around and listen to music, although if we had a nice sounding system it may evolve that way. Unfortunately, I have less and less time to just sit and listen to music. I'm usually in my office doing other things while I listen.

Doug

I couldn't be happier with my setup: 340SEs across the front and 170SEs in the rear.

Doug,

I feel like I'm splitting hairs here, but for HT I really like the sound and impact of the 340 se's and stf-3 sub. I tried using the Sierra's but for whatever reason they just didn't seem to have the punch or output of the 340's. I had them both powered by a vintage McIntosh amp (140 watts) so power wasn't an issue. IMHO all of Daves speakers are music to this old farts ears! I am more of a music fan than HT, but when I am listening to music these days, I am rarely in the same room as the speakers, and a unique quality of the Sierras is they sound clean and articulate wherever I happen to be. A good friend of mine is a sound engineer and he recently remarked that while we were sitting outside having a smoke that the Sierras still sounded as if they were in front of us, I would have to agree.
    Hope this helps somewhat.

Peace,

Jim

You won't be un-happy with either, but I would go with the Sierras. I have 3 340SE across the front and they are amazing but my friend has a pair of Sierras and now I wish I had at least 2 of those for the front Left/Right posistions. They are just incredible to listen to for music (I haven't watched a movie with them)!

Hi J# Minor,

So sorry to hear of your bad luck... I once had a similar problem with a new smart phone. I purchased the newer model, sold the old one on ebay, and ended up sending the auction winner my new phone. Funny how my emails to him went unanswered after that

My advice with regard to 340 SE or Sierra-1 is that the 340 SE would be a significant upgrade from your classic CBM-170 and would indeed make you very happy. However, with Sierra-1 you might find that you start listening to music much more than you ever expected. With Sierra-1 in my family room, my entire family (kids and all) often ask me to turn the stereo on. It could be that they are getting older now but prior to Sierra-1, with 340 SE in the room it was only about television and home theater.

I don't think you would be making a wrong decision either way, but I do recommend looking forward to future use as well... I feel the Sierra-1 and 340 SE are close performers for HT (with the edge going to Sierra-1 due to superior dispersion and a cleaner sound), however, for music listening the Sierra-1 can give you chills
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com