Thread: Are We In A Recession?

Default Are We In A Recession?

I think we are. I began to sence in the fall of last year say by mid-November. Sales where I work have been flat to about 2to4 percent down compared to last year. This is after nearly 5 years of double digit(low to mid-teens growth). To be honest I'm a bit worried. I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best, A short recession.

With the dollar in a steep decline, where American goods are now cheap to export, importing from abroad becomes expensive.. Could this kind of climate have an impact on Ascend Acoustics loudspeakers?

Here is a link to wikipedia as it is giving a broad definition of a Recession
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recession

Default Re: Are We In A Recession?

First off, I'm not a finance expert plus base on the first sentence definition of a Recession, we are NOT. I was made aware of this while listening to a local radio talk show.

The wiki link defines Recession as involving a..."*decline* in a country's real gross domestic product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year."

Where you've stated...the opposite.
    This is after nearly 5 years of double digit (low to mid-teens *growth*).

Obviously a "decline in growth" isn't the same as "negative real economic growth" (recession).

Default Re: Are We In A Recession?

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    With the dollar in a steep decline, where American goods are now cheap to export, importing from abroad becomes expensive.. Could this kind of climate have an impact on Ascend Acoustics loudspeakers?
    Dave may have a different answer, as some of the components that go in to Ascend speakers come from overseas, but from my perspective right now is a great time to be a US-based speaker manufacturer.

I recently reviewed a German-made speaker that retails slightly higher than the Sierra here in the 'States...and the Sierra handily trounced them. If the dollar were stronger, they could sell for less (they sell for quite a bit less in Europe) but right now American-made has an advantage here at home. On the export market, the weaker dollar means overseas shoppers get more for their EUR, JPY, SGD, etc.