Thread: Sierra and tubes

Default Sierra and tubes

Does any one use the Sierra with tube amps (40-60 watts) in a mid size room. The published impedence curve seems to be tube friendly.

Default Re: Sierra and tubes

Hi willpower45, I like your thinking Sierra with tube amp would be nice. My thought here is that the Sierra minimum recommended power is 45watts. Using a 40-60 watt tube amp would probably work ok at modest listening levels in a mid sized room, but very likely not at higher volume levels, where you might experience clipping. Also, when needed you may not have the headroom required for those sudden peaks of sound.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here It has been quite awhile since I have used a tube amp, and I do not own the Sierras. My comment is based on past experience with tube amps and reading thru the Sierra specs.

Quote Originally Posted by willpower45 View Post
    Does any one use the Sierra with tube amps (40-60 watts) in a mid size room. The published impedence curve seems to be tube friendly.
    40-60 watts from a quality tube amp is ideal! We have customers running Sierra-1 off 35 watt tube amps and the reported results have been excellent.

FYI, a 60 watt 2ch amp (60 watts per channel) being used with Sierra-1 is capable of delivering over 100dB output at 2 meters in an average sized room. This is extremely loud!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by willpower45 View Post
    I find the Sierras very easy to drive with tubes. I'm using 22 watts and I have plenty of juice to spare.

Thumbs up Re: Sierra and tubes

I bought a pair of Sierras (natural bamboo) and use an Assemblage ST40 (40 watts). They sound great, the amps have more than enough power.