Thread: Mid level receivers vs separates

Default Mid level receivers vs separates

I have been curious on what ascend owners have found regarding this topic. I have read numerous threads on AVS forum & etc with people going back and forth with different opinions. My question is for those that have experienced the 2 options and can comment in a non-biased way----unlike some on the larger forums that just like to post

My setup consists of a yamaha rx-v2600 using its preouts to a B&K 200.3 amp for my front 3 siearras. The yamaha only powers the rear 170's. Don't get me wrong, it sounds phenominal but with companies like outlaw, integra, and emotiva offering affordable seperates that are within reach of the not so rich/famous, I want to know what improvments can or cannot be made?

Dave F, if you happen to stumble across this thread, I would be curious for you to chime in considering your experience & knowledge I have witnessed from your posts throughout the years I imagine with all of the critical listening you have done with different equipment, you can offer some insight.

Thanks everyone,

Brandon

San Diego, Colorado, Germany, Texas, Tn, & finally Michigan

Default Re: Mid level receivers vs separates

Well hmmmmmmm I'm new on here, not sure if what I can share is relavant to todays market or not. My 1st receiver was a Pioneer SX535 with a Bic Turntable and Soundcraftsman speakers back in the early 70's. It was a bit noisy lots of hiss and there was plenty of distortion too when it was cranked up high with all of its 25 rms per channel (two channels driven dont think we even had a 'b' channel on that model maybe I'm wrong)...I dreamed of a cleaner sound with less distortion. I was only 14 at the time and for high school it did me fine.

I went in the Army and recieved a 'CASH Bonus' with which I purchased a 'integrated amp' a Kenwood 7150 and now had 65 watts RMS but the THD was .08 I think and wow did we think that was clean! Still two channels driven but we had a 'A' channel and a 'B' channel now. I also upgraded my turntable to a Phillips GA212 and a Audio Technica moving magnet cartridge that had me hearing all sorts of stuff on the record niether I nor my friendshad heard before. Or maybe it was the speaker upgrade to four Genesis 2+2's that did the trick, I dont know it just sounded cleaner and between tracks it was quieter. I couild really hear the difference on headphones (Koss PRO4 AA's) between the two systems...

In the early 80's after some water damage to my speakers and my amp the army cut me a check to settle the damages and I opted for a Sherwood Reciever, a Marantz turntable, pioneer 7121 cassette player and my 1st set of AR38's....I still had the Koss PRO4 AA headphones and this time I didnt notice the noise that I heard in the past systems. I was certain I would without a sep amp and tuner but the Sherwood was relatively quiet as was the Marantz turntable. The pionneer had some hiss and wow and flutter from time to time but it was due to a needed cleaning or demagnatizing...I was also leaving the military and moving into civilian apt life, not the place to be 'rocking down the house' so as my demographics changed so did my way I played my music...Ithink that the same holds true for you...my experience was the cleanest sound came from my integrated amp/tuner back in the mid to late 70's. By the early 80's recievers were cleaning up and showing good specs and could play 4 speakers easy and some even allowed you to play the 8 track on channel 'A' and the turntable on channel 'B' in another room. My integrated amp had more features on it especially filter features than did any of the 3 recievers I've owned prior to purchasing the Onkyo I have today.

The research I did into the separates field before buying my Onkyo at least with Cambridge and even Outlaw I didnt see very many hdmi outs or in's on the models I looked at...not for me but for my wife and son thats going to be important as they are the big tv watchers. So how about you, what do you need it for? If you got the money, and are a critical listener with a demanding pair of speakers in another room that you need a sep amp for, by all means go for it! If you dont and your recievers 'b' channel can power those speakers while you blast 5.1 in the den then maybe you dont....just do your research like your doing now and listen to what these young pro's tell you Brandon and best of luck!

The hikingfoole!

I have a Denon 3805 which originally I had my Sierra's running through and I liked the sound very much. I have since gone back to my 340 se's for HT, and am just using the sierra's in a 2 channel rig with used McIntosh seperates, without a sub. I can't give you any numbers or graphs (way beyond my capabilities) but as far as sound goes, I prefer seperates and the Sierra's. Recently, I purchased and installed acoustic treatments in my room, and that has made a huge sonic improvment accross the board.
    I see you are in Milwaukee, what part? I used to love to go to the Coffee Trader on the East side. My cousin owns Giles's on Bluemound, what i wouldn't do for a frozen custard hot fudge sundae!

Jim

Thanks for the feedback guys! Buddhaddas, I live about 30 miles west of the city. I dont know the places you mentioned, buy am very familiar with bluemound rd. I have an office on Bluemound rd in Wauwatosa

Back to the topic,
    If I dont have the luxury or space for a dedicated 2 channel system, will 7.1 separates such as the offerings from the companies I listed above be any improvment with my sierras and how much would you say........somewhat noticeable.......barely.......very noticeable?

At the moment most of this is hypothetical considering I cannot afford the equipment for around 1-2 years yet, but I would just like to know everyones thoughts. Maybe Dave F will chime in too.

Brandon

I have found the sierras are still hungry even on my AVR-635. I have just ordered an Emotiva xpa-5 and will post up how much of a difference the extra wattage makes.

Quote Originally Posted by zkaudio View Post
    I have found the sierras are still hungry even on my AVR-635. I have just ordered an Emotiva xpa-5 and will post up how much of a difference the extra wattage makes.
    I just came across this... assuming there is a difference, was it worth it? Thanks

was also leaving the military and moving into civilian apt life, not the place to be 'rocking down the house' so as my demographics changed so did my way I played my music...Ithink that the same holds true for you...my experience was the cleanest sound came from my integrated amp/tuner back in the mid to late 70's.