Thread: Thoughts on newly arrived Sierra-1 pair

Default Thoughts on newly arrived Sierra-1 pair

Mr. Fabrikant and the team at Ascend,

I have to tip my hat to you - the Sierra-1s are remarkable in every aspect, from the moment I unpacked the box and marveled at the fit and finish to the moment I put them atop my speaker stands and started playing music through them. Everything is there - detail, clarity, bass, midrange, crystal clear highs. A sax sounds like a sax, a drum kicks appropriately, an upright bass sounds like it's IN my room. Vocals are superb and imaging is outstanding. The Sierra handles everything with equal aplomb - classical, jazz, rock, vocals, movie soundtracks. They sound big, the rendition carries heft that you wouldn't expect from a pair of bookshelf speakers. They're awesome - and I don't say that lightly. Also, your customer service and professionalism are top notch - you have been most accommodating and responsive. This whole experience has made me a huge Ascend fan!

Warm regards,
    Dave
    Last edited by omegacentrix; 01-28-2008 at 03:14 PM.

I bet you had a nice weekend!
    -curtis

Red face

The Sierras have kept me up way after my bedtime these past few days!

After another 15 hours or so of critical listening, I'm impressed by the superb soundstage of the Sierra-1s. They're not only accurate in width, but also in depth. They render the room that the performance was captured in, something I'm not quite used to hearing! The relaxed nature of the Sierras means I can listen for hours on end. My preferred sound is one that's a slightly bright and the pairing of the Sierras with a Panasonic XR57 is wonderful to my ears.

Another reason for the late nights is that I've been A/B-ing a pair of Onix Reference 1s in comparison to the Sierras. I can post more detailed thoughts and comparisons if folks are interested, but in summary, I do prefer the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by omegacentrix View Post
    Mr. Fabrikant and the team at Ascend,

I have to tip my hat to you - the Sierra-1s are remarkable in every aspect, from the moment I unpacked the box and marveled at the fit and finish to the moment I put them atop my speaker stands and started playing music through them. Everything is there - detail, clarity, bass, midrange, crystal clear highs. A sax sounds like a sax, a drum kicks appropriately, an upright bass sounds like it's IN my room. Vocals are superb and imaging is outstanding. The Sierra handles everything with equal aplomb - classical, jazz, rock, vocals, movie soundtracks. They sound big, the rendition carries heft that you wouldn't expect from a pair of bookshelf speakers. They're awesome - and I don't say that lightly. Also, your customer service and professionalism are top notch - you have been most accommodating and responsive. This whole experience has made me a huge Ascend fan!

Warm regards,
    Dave
    I'm not sure what aplomb is, but if anything like being 'the bomb', I'm in.

Default Re: Thoughts on newly arrived Sierra-1 pair

Quote Originally Posted by omegacentrix View Post
    The Sierras have kept me up way after my bedtime these past few days!

After another 15 hours or so of critical listening, I'm impressed by the superb soundstage of the Sierra-1s. They're not only accurate in width, but also in depth. They render the room that the performance was captured in, something I'm not quite used to hearing! The relaxed nature of the Sierras means I can listen for hours on end. My preferred sound is one that's a slightly bright and the pairing of the Sierras with a Panasonic XR57 is wonderful to my ears.

Another reason for the late nights is that I've been A/B-ing a pair of Onix Reference 1s in comparison to the Sierras. I can post more detailed thoughts and comparisons if folks are interested, but in summary, I do prefer the Sierras.
    I would be interested in your impressions of the two speakers.

Hey Dave,
    I'm glad your enjoying your new Sierra's. I totally understand what your saying about detail,soundstage and bass.I'm pushing my Sierra's with the Panasonic XR55. I sold all my high end seperates from the 80's and bought this 9 pound digital reciever to take over.What can I say..I'm astounded with the sound. I started off with 340 se's and thought it could get no better at this price point, until the Sierra's showed up at my door. Amazing! Oh, I just bought the Moody Blues..Days Of Future Passed (DVD-Audio DTS Surround Sound) Great stuff! Have fun

Hi Mike,

I posted some thoughts regarding the Onix Ref 1s vs the Ascend Sierra-1s in another thread... Here's the link:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...2&postcount=11

TenYearsGone - I'll have to check out that DVD, thanks for the recommendation!