Thread: Sierra L/R w 340 se C/surrounds?

Default Sierra L/R w 340 se C/surrounds?

Hello,
    Ive been a very happy camper over the past year with my 340 se l/r/c setup, and am finally able to upgrade to a full surround setup. The room is roughly 12 x 24 with a slanted ceiling, and one wall open completely to the dining room/kitchen. The couch is on one of the long walls centered, and across is the projection screen & speakers. Its about 11 feet from the fronts to the couch.

I started looking at maybe just grabbing some 200's or 170's, but the more i read about the sierra's the more i want to try them for my fronts. I can only really afford 1 pair, as i also upgraded to an Onkyo 805, and still plan to buy a sub. I mostly do home theater, maybe 10% is music.

So, would using the 340 SE's for surrounds and the center channel work well with Sierra's set up as my L/R? Or should i go back to looking at the smaller surrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by watsonusn View Post
    Hello,
    Ive been a very happy camper over the past year with my 340 se l/r/c setup, and am finally able to upgrade to a full surround setup. The room is roughly 12 x 24 with a slanted ceiling, and one wall open completely to the dining room/kitchen. The couch is on one of the long walls centered, and across is the projection screen & speakers. Its about 11 feet from the fronts to the couch.

I started looking at maybe just grabbing some 200's or 170's, but the more i read about the sierra's the more i want to try them for my fronts. I can only really afford 1 pair, as i also upgraded to an Onkyo 805, and still plan to buy a sub. I mostly do home theater, maybe 10% is music.

So, would using the 340 SE's for surrounds and the center channel work well with Sierra's set up as my L/R? Or should i go back to looking at the smaller surrounds?

There are some excellent answers to your question on AVSforum.com as well as some on here. I checked with some of the guys who had the 340SE and upgraded to the Sierra-1's, and most, if not all, felt it was worthwhile, particularly for music. It boils down to the $$$ out lay vs. the increase in SQ. I love music SQ, detail. I opted for the Sierras LRC but have never heard the 340SE's. My lean would be to buy a pair of Sierra's for LR, keep the 340Se's for center, rears and never doubt you've got the best. By all accounts the 340SE is a great Center channel and you now have the Sierra-1's for music. Just my opinion and I'm sure most people would be happy to add a set of 170 or 200 for the rears. Good luck and check the avsforum.com thread for Ascend owners.

I started my Ascend life with 340SE's across the front and 200's for surrounds, ungraded the surrounds to 170SE's because I was starting to listen to alot of DVD A music in DTS mode and wanted a little better timbre match. I then upraded the L/C/R to the Sierra 1's because I also listen to alot of CD's in two channel only and the Sierra's are fantastic!
    With your "maybe 10% music" I would keep your 340se's and add a pair of 200SE's for surrounds and you'll have a great HT setup!
    Jeff

Default Sierra/340SE

Basically I am doing what you are suggesting. I have 340SE's L/C/R and 170 surrounds. I ordered a pair of Sierra's for L/R and am planning to move the 340SE's to the rear. My lucky daughter is going to get the 170's for her stereo since a 7.1 setup is difficult in my basement right now.

I'm toward the last on the backorder list so won't get the Sierra for another week or so. I do listen to music quite a bit and felt the Sierra's would be a significant upgrade in sound. I'll let you know how they sound when I do!

Michael

Man, do I love spending other people's money. Enjoy.

Thanks for the responses, im awaiting a reply from ascend (via email), i really hope the sierra's & the 340's blend.

Default Lol, upgraditus bites hard :)P

Well, after several emails & 3 phone calls, i am going to go with sierra's for L/R/C, and HTM 200's for the surrounds. Dave & Dina were both very helpful (and very patient), with all my questions & mind changing. Im just waiting for my final invoice, and then into the sierra arena i go!!!
    Now i just need to figure out which HSU sub to get..... my living room, dining room, and kitchen are essentially one giant 4300 cubic foot room, but it also opens into the front room, (no door), and then the stairs to the upper floor is open in the front room, so get to pressurize the whole friggin house. Oi.