Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Sub (if any) do you use with your Ascends?

I run a SVS 25-31 PCi (tuned to 22hz).

I felt that VTF-2 would not be able to hang in my room and the VTF-3 was out of my league price wise, so for a 60 bucks more I decided to toss in with the SVS. Impressions so far...wow. I get some serious bass with this sub. I mean it vibrates my seat when I watch movies with low frequencies. I havn't bottomed her our or distorted her yet, which I guess is a plus. It also blends very well with my Ascends when I play music. I have it set so you cant localize the bass, but you still feel it when it hits. I love it, and I wouldn't trade anything in the world for it (except for a bigger SVS of course).

oz

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

Also running the HSU VTF-2 sub with my Ascends,expresses the low end of my music tight and precise, with no boominess.

I am a VTF-3 user. When I was going through the speaker process, I talked to DF about the sub, and he said that if I could, get the VTF-3 because it was simply more capable, but the VTF-2 would be fine. I talked to Dr. Hsu, and he said the same thing. So I went to Hsu Research to listen, intending to get the VTF-2, but I walked out with a b-stock VTF-3 instead.

-curtis

I also have a VTF-2 and I'm quite happy with it. If I went anywhere from here with the sub, I would probably look toward DIY or a custom one by Rutledge or someone else.

I was running an IB until the recent move. I've got to decide whether to do it in this house too. I won't have time for a while. Presently running a borrowed Polk. :0

Currently using an Adire Rava subwoofer with my Ascends. Haven't heard the Hsus or SVSs that everyone keeps raving about, so not sure how the Rava compares. But I have found it to be very accurate and has the ability to deftly reproduce even the most complicated of bass lines. If posters on AVS and other boards are correct in their assessment, the Adire Rava is hard to beat in terms of sheer bass accuracy because of its sealed design but gives up something to the Hsus and SVSs when it comes to playing lower and with greater slam.

EZ-V, I'd say that your post on the Rava is on target. I've heard that it is an exceptionally accurate, musical sub.

Brian at Rutledge Audio Design is currently building a sub for me with an av12 driver and rythmik amp with lt circuit. Hopefully it will be here by the end of next week. I can't wait! He has been really great to work with, is very knowledgeable and has been very responsive to my endless stream of questions.

Now, if my 170's would just show up I'd be in heaven... :-)

Call me crazy, but I use the Yamaha SW118V sub with the AudioSource Amp3 in 400W bridged mode. I paid about $200 a piece for both items refurbished. The 18" sub is linear to 20Hz and only starts distorting at 15Hz. With the 400W amp I get up to 120dB of undistorted bass.

Of course not everyone has room for a 7 cubic feet box in their home theater.

Leszek

I had my CBM 170's for an entire year before finally getting an Adire Rava a few weeks ago. I can't believe how much proper sub placement effects response. Anyway, I think I've got it placed and dialed in as good as possible and I'm thrilled with the Rava. The balance of accuracy and output is more than satisfactory for my taste.