Thread: Ascends with HK7200

Not at all! That 7200 is a very nice receiver and will treat Ascends well.

-curtis

I just hooked my 340's up to the 7200 and they sound very good thus far ... Waiting for my subwoofer to come in b4 I write a review.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Will the HK7200 overpower them?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Is that even possible? I thought a receiver wattage worked sort of like power supplies in PC - you need enough to power everything, but there's no such thing as too much. The remaining power is simply not used.

I guess its a question of whether the receiving item "draws" a set amount of power (which is how it works in PCs) or whether the source "sends" a set amount of power. It seems illogical for the latter to ever be the case, even if it is in reality.

azanon,

You can send too much power to a speaker, and that is what blows drivers. Under normal...and even louder listening levels, we rarely send too much to the speaker. Current is "pushed" the to the speaker.

-curtis

I guess i sort of realized that since i've seen "ranges" on wattages on speakers. Still, from a layman's point of view, seems to make more sense that the receiving speaker should draw the power needed, so that the power amount is optimum instead of at the mercy of what its being sent.

Guess pc's have a leg up in this department. You can hook up a 550watt PS in an entry level pc, and the only end result of that will be a PS that wont have to work too hard. The components still get optimum power; whatever power they draw per the individual specs.

Remember...there is no "volume" control on a speaker.

-curtis

An underpowered amp or receiver is much more likely to damage your speakers than a component with an adequate power supply. Driving an amp into clipping sends signals to your speakers that can damage the tweeters.

The question really was, "will there be a lot of wasted power?" Or the question was "is the HK7200 overkill on the Ascends?"

I was originally planning to get some towers, but reading all good things about the Ascends have me thinking getting them instead. Is anyone else here running there Ascends with a HK7200?