Thread: OT: Copying CD's

Default OT: Copying CD's

I would like to make the best possible copy of Redbook CD's. Exact Audio Copy seems to be highly regarded for its error detection/correction. The downside is that it converts to WAV format. CloneCD can make Redbook copies but I'm not sure if it has error detection as good as Exact Audio Copy. I have a new Lenovo laptop...would CloneCD work as good as Exact Audio copy considering it's the latest greatest hardware?

Thanks!
    Craig

I only use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC and/or MP3 files, never to copy a CD, so I can't tell you how it compares.

For the past 8-10 months, I have been using CloneCD, and before that Nero. I can't tell you if there is anything different as far as the copies that each produce, but I can tell you that CloneCD is much easier to use.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I only use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC and/or MP3 files, never to copy a CD, so I can't tell you how it compares.

For the past 8-10 months, I have been using CloneCD, and before that Nero. I can't tell you if there is anything different as far as the copies that each produce, but I can tell you that CloneCD is much easier to use.
    Thanks for the reply Curtis. Ultimately I too will be doing the FLAC thing when I get a Squeezebox. However, when copying a CD my preference is to keep it in redbook format assuming audio quality is same as original. I'm probably being super-anal and CloneCd will be fine but I've read how Exact Audio Copy is supposed to be better than anything else for audio quality.
    Last edited by CraigT; 01-15-2008 at 08:04 AM.

I am not certain about the error correction capabilities, but I know that CloneCDD is a bit to bit copy scheme, so it should work very well. Don't know if that means it copies errors bit to bit or not. I think that it is good enough that it should only be a problem with problem CDs, my suggestion would be to use a home repair type gadget or a CD repair service before copying any damaged CDs, other than that, I suspect CloneCD will be fine.

I understand the desire to keep the audio unconverted in any way for a copy. I think CloneCD is the best software to do that since I do not know of a way to do this in EAC, at least not the version I am using.

I too have been using FLAC for my CD collection, although this new HD AAC format has my nose twitching a bit. I just don't know if this format will ever be useable with EAC since it is a proprietary codec. I guess we will see. The idea of a lossless codec with a lossy core compatible with all current AAC players in an interesting concept as is the ability to have 96/24 AAC files. Nothing to do with your topic of copying CDs, but I think it an interesting development for the audio world.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Thanks for the reply Curtis. Ultimately I too will be doing the FLAC thing when I get a Squeezebox. However, when copying a CD my preference is to keep it in redbook format assuming audio quality is same as original. I'm probably being super-anal and CloneCd will be fine but I've read how Exact Audio Copy is supposed to be better than anything else for audio quality.