Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onkyo 805 deal at CC

Default Onkyo 805 deal at CC

FYI - CC has the Onkyo 805 receiver for $699. Not sure how long this sale is going to last...Picked one up this morning.

Nice deal!

It is an awesome receiver...I picked one up from shoponkyo.com for $529 (refurb) and couldn't be happier.

Picked one up myself on Friday from Circuit City (price match to Fry's before Circuit City had put it on sale). I'm still trying to dial it in, but overall I think this is a fantastic receiver. I was worried it would be "bright" as compared to the H/K I had before, but I wouldn't say that at all. I do, however, think I prefer it with Audyssey equalizer adjustments turned off...It just seems to make my 340s sound kind of lifeless. Anybody else feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoish View Post
    Picked one up myself on Friday from Circuit City (price match to Fry's before Circuit City had put it on sale). I'm still trying to dial it in, but overall I think this is a fantastic receiver. I was worried it would be "bright" as compared to the H/K I had before, but I wouldn't say that at all. I do, however, think I prefer it with Audyssey equalizer adjustments turned off...It just seems to make my 340s sound kind of lifeless. Anybody else feel the same?
    any thoughts on the sound differences between the HK and Onkyo? I may be in want of a new receiver soon.

I am also interested in your impressions on this. I have had to rule out HK for my next receiver because I need one that accepts DSD over HDMI and there are not too many models out there that do this, the 805 is one that does.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ebh View Post
    any thoughts on the sound differences between the HK and Onkyo? I may be in want of a new receiver soon.

Honestly, as far as sound quality is concerned, both are extremely comparable. I consider quality being detailed without being harsh. In this same system, I've also had a Pioneer 1015 before I had the H/K 247. The Pioneer sounded muddy and...blunted...compared to both the H/K and the Onkyo. I think it's amps were just in a different (much lesser) league.

The extra power of the Onkyo 805 is definitely apparent at higher volumes over the H/K. The H/K was rated at 50 wpc. Even though H/K rates their amps truly, it (surprisingly) ran out of steam at slightly above moderate volume levels in my setup...though I have a very open floor plan and so this is understandable. At my normal, moderate listening levels, the Onkyo and H/K sound pretty much the same. The Onkyo may be a touch more dynamic at those moderate levels...but that could just be in my head.

I will note that while I didn't like what the Audyssey EQ in the Onkyo did to my system, I did like what H/K's EzSet/EQ did to it. However, like I said, the non-EQ'd Onkyo sounds very comparable to the EQ'd H/K as far as sound quality goes...so perhaps H/K's EQ didn't do much to alter the sound.

The thing of it is...I'm still playing with the Onkyo. There are so many setup options with this thing. It's unbelievable. The H/K had a very basic menu with very little to tweak.

With all of this, you have to understand that I'm comparing the Onkyo 805 to a H/K receiver that retails for half the price. It's really saying something that the H/K could even be comparable. It's too bad that the particular model I had (the 247) had too many quirks and glitches (LFE bug on PCM, no 7.1 with PCM, video issues, etc). If they ever get those issues sorted out with firmware updates, it will be a great value.

To sum it all up - At normal listening levels, the H/K and Onkyo 805 sound similar in my Ascend system. Or...rather....They allow my Ascends to sound their best (airy, open, detailed).
    Last edited by BoBoish; 12-04-2007 at 03:51 AM.

Default Rats!

This sale must be regional--or over. I've tried the phoned stores, here in Georgia, and they haven't heard of a sale on the 805. CC on the web lists it at $949.99. Sure it isn't Apr. 1?

John

It was over before the end of the day. These super-deals seem to be really short lived these days.

Default On sale with coupon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike613 View Post
    FYI - CC has the Onkyo 805 receiver for $699. Not sure how long this sale is going to last...Picked one up this morning.
    On their website, Circuit City has the Onkyo 805 on sale for 699 and you can get a 10% off coupon with in store pickup!

I love this Receiver but wish they were having these sales last summer!

Michael