Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to expand my current 2 speaker setup.

Default Looking to expand my current 2 speaker setup.

I currently have a Denon AVR-2106 and 2 CBM-170 SE . I have the center and surrounds disabled in the Denon so when I play a DD or DTS 5.1 source everything gets routed to the 2 speakers and I don't miss any of the movie/game soundtrack.

In any case, I'm ready to build onto my system and complete a proper surround sound setup.

Keeping in mind that I already have the CBM's and I want to continue to use them, I am thinking of 2 options:

A)
    Sierra-1 C
    CBM-170 SE LR
    HTM-200 SE Surrounds

B)
    CMT-340 LCR
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds

Looking at the speaker package calculator on this site, B is about $100 more than A. So with B I'll have a matching LCR set and more powerful surrounds. With A I'll have the top of the line ascend center speaker and smaller mains and surrounds.

Which would you pick?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    John

I'd go with B unless Sierra mains is an option.

That said, it's also worth asking what portion of your listening is:

Movies
    Video games
    Stereo music
    Multi-channel music (DVD-A, SACD, concert DVDs)

Do you already have a sub? If not, that might be the best next purchase for building out a system.

FWIW...my thoughts echo Brad's.
    -curtis

Sierra mains are an option, I suppose, but if I go that route I'll want to buy the center first, then the mains a month or 2 later (and move the CBM-170SEs to the back at that time.)

If I go with option A or B above then I can get it all at once.

My listening is probably, 40% HDTV (movies/tv shows etc), 25% gaming (360, wii, PS3), 25% disc movies (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray), and 10% stereo music. I don't currently own any DVD-A or SACD discs, but I see the SACD logo on the side of the PS3 case, so I may start checking out multi-channel music once I get a proper surround system set up. I do have some concert DVDs like Alice in Chains unplugged, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc that have DD 5.1 soundtracks, so I do listen to multi-channel music videos.

I do not currently have a subwoofer. I take it the sub should be my top priority? The problem is I live in a second floor apartment, so I'm afraid a sub would be a waste at this point as I'm not sure I'd ever be able to crank it w/out driving the neighbors crazy. I guess I could keep the sub at lower volume levels just to make the sound more full.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks again,
    john

Also, the room is about 14' x 19.5'.

I was looking at the HSU STF-2 or VTF-1. Would that be good for a room that size, you think?

So is the general concensus that I should get a new sub first, then ideally I should peice together sierras up front and put the CBMs in back?

Thanks,
    john

Given that you're in an apartment and that music is the minority of your listening, I might lean towards 340's across the front as the next purchase.

A sub is the next best item, but only if you can use it. If it just makes your neighbors complain, then it's not worth it. If you can get away with one, then an STF-2 is a good choice.

340 center with your 170 mains and 200se surrounds is also an option.

Sell me the 170SE and purchase a pair of Sierra 1 for yourself. I am serious.

Out of those options, and has been stated..

Your habit's would look like a good fit for "B"

The Sierra IS a better sounding speaker, and will shine with music, BUT the 340se's are no slouch at all, and will definitely do the job WITHOUT question.

I ALSO used the 170-340-170 setup as someone here already mentioned, and it sounded fabulous(my 170se's do surround duty now-overkill), then I bought Sierra LCR.

You could also just buy the below to keep the price down if needed :

Another 170(for center), and 2 HTM200's

A 340se(for center), and 2 HTM200's

340SEC, and 2x 170se

3 more 170 se's

Sierra LCR, and move the 170se's to the rear(as I did).

Depends on budget, size(WAF if that applies), etc...

hth

m