Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

I can't believe I don't see Jazz at the Pawnshop listed on here for a jazz recording. Good music and great recording, you feel as though your part of the audience.

Steve

Talking Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I suppose I will come out of the closet too...

I think I will give the kids their first exposure to Karen Carpenter this evening.

Anything to stop the constant bombardment of Barney and now "Elmo's World"
    It's OK Dave, we have a KCA meeting once a month.
    your welcome to stop by anytime!!

Talking Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime

Underrated as a compilation, and IMHO their BEST overall album, although I like Rage and Empire too.

It has to be RIGHT up there!!

Epic- Great sound, kickass musicianship,great vocals great song writing (IMO), and a great story.

Set your AVR/Pre-Pro to LFE +SW(re-directed bass) and see what happens...... it'll shutdown alot of Sub amps with it's constant thunder at high volume.

Have a fan handy, and don't put your hand on the heatsink for long.......

Loving these guys, Fleet Foxes: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=7279488

Double LP available here: www.subpop.com

For $14 you get a gatefold Double LP, their recent full length release and the earlier EP Sun Giant. Not to mention a digital download of decent quality MP3, a pin and sticker.

Blake

Smile Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Underrated as a compilation, and IMHO their BEST overall album, although I like Rage and Empire too.

Epic- Great sound, kickass musicianship,great vocals great song writing (IMO), and a great story.

Set your AVR/Pre-Pro to LFE +SW(re-directed bass) and see what happens...... it'll shutdown alot of Sub amps with it's constant thunder at high volume.

Thanks Muzz, I downloaded it this morning. I don't know how I missed this one. Great stuff!!

Thumbs up Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Glad ya like it.

I know Dave does as well..

Good stuff that never seemed to get the credit that it deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Abiathar View Post
    I can't believe I don't see Jazz at the Pawnshop listed on here for a jazz recording. Good music and great recording, you feel as though your part of the audience.

Steve
    I'll second that!
    I'm actually listening to it right now, been a while since I broke it out.

I'll drop a few other recent favorites of mine...

Sufjan Stevens - (Come on feel the) Illinoise. One of my favorite records ever. I can listen to this over and over. Thoughtful tracks, amazing orchestration and instrumentation. Uses so many different instruments from track to track, sometimes lone aco guitar, sometimes full string section with choir. Album is about different things in Illinois' history, but it is one of the most beautiful and touching albums I've ever heard. It also graced a lot of best-of lists in 2005 when it was released. Check out tracks 4, 9, 12, and 16 on the Amazon link there.

Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards. Excellent vocals, amazing bass guitar and drum definition, plus various guitar sounds and styles, good midrange-y vocals and other instruments (tamborines and the like).

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup. Amazing instrumentation with all sorts of instruments, from aco guitars to accordians, pianos, strings and brass, instruments I don't know the names of. Sort of like an old French movie soundtrack feel. Great imaging and layers of sound. Sounds similar to Sufjan Stevens.

I've also been enjoying the jazz and bossa nova on Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo. Great instruments and imaging, and very sensual vocals too. Stumbled on the disc by accident, so it's a very lucky find.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin262 View Post
    Loving these guys, Fleet Foxes: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=7279488

Double LP available here: www.subpop.com

For $14 you get a gatefold Double LP, their recent full length release and the earlier EP Sun Giant. Not to mention a digital download of decent quality MP3, a pin and sticker.

Blake
    I recognize that first song on that page. I sometimes listen to KEXP.org streaming during the day at work, so I hear a lot of stuff passively and don't know who the artists are. I might have to pick that album up.

Have you ever heard Kings of Convenience? Their "Riot on an Empty Street" album is great. Most of the songs are 2 guys on acoustic guitars.
    Last edited by cyberbri; 06-25-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Agreed! Excellent CD, loaded with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) influences.

Another great one is "Amused to Death" (Roger Waters). This one is a personal favorite, fantastic sound quality and imaging.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I bought the Jesse Cook cd "Tempest" after reading about it here. I really enjoy it on the Sierra's. I have ordered his DVD One Night at the Metropolis to check out some more. Thanks for the recommendation!

Michael