Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

For any of you jazz fans, if you haven't heard any of Molly Johnson's offerings you are really missing out on something. I have two of her cd's; Messin Around & Another Day. They are both brilliant, and the recordings aren't bad either.

Default David Gilmour - Blue Ray(Double Disc)

I bought this 2 days ago after renting it from netflix. When I rented it, I did not return it for 3 weeks because I kept playing it every other night.

The sound quality is superb. You will be playing "Echoes" over and over again. The picture quality is a little grainy though for Blue Ray, but the sound and the music more than compensate the picture quality. I wish they had released just one disc for Royal Albert Hall concert for lower price, but Amazon has a best price right now for 22.99 for dual disc. The disc has some Pink Floyd classics plus some material from Gilmour's album "remember that night". The bonus disc has some interesting tidbits too like an awkward conversation between Gilmour and Waters.

Amazon has some good reviews of this too.

Talking Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

I am a hard rock/metal guy USUALLY(although I love Motown too), I'm a bit older, so I love Queensryche,Metallica, Zep,Foghat, Queen, Bad co.etc.....
    There are MANY hard rock and metal bands I like, too many to mention, the list would be retardedly long..
    What am I listening to?
    The Carpenters!!

I grew up in a big family(NOT a big house though), I am the 2nd youngest, and I'm 43.....
    I grew up listening to MANY genres(Older bro- Aerosmith/Floyd/Zepp etc),Motown(Older sis- She loved it), and mainstream(the turles, stones, would be top 40, etc,)..
    So many influences...... fabulous!!
    I'm listening to the Carpenters- "The Singles 1969-73"(my oldest sisters fav when I was a youngin), and MAN do they sound good on Sierra.
    Good arrangements(by her brother Richard), Great sound(IMO)....all old ass analog stuff, along with the hiss..........
    Hi-Hats sound like ummmm...... Hi Hats!!
    Muted drums(which I dislike, but I understand here)..
    Sounds good on Sierra, I can tell ya that!!
    Karen Carpenter had a fantastic voice IMO.
    Before anone bashes me, I have PLAYED drums in hard rock/metal bands for years, love that stuff, but I grewup with this, and still appreciate quality old stuff(vocals especially)
    Save it, this post is about something else totally.

You are not alone. I have Carpenters - The Singles 1969 - 1981 in SACD and it is a great collection. Its not something I listen to everyday but Karen's voice is incredible.

Michael

For fellow Morphine fans.....

A couple of years or so while looking for a particular Morphine CD, I came across a band called Twinemen that is made up of some former members of Morphine and got one of their CDs. Ofcourse, a lot of Morphine influence, and very enjoyable. They have a new CD available that I plan on getting.
    http://www.twinemen.com

But the CD I am recommending here is by A.K.A.C.O.D. Another band recently formed by former Morphine members (Dana Colley...who is also in Twinemen). I ran across their debut CD while looking for the latest from Twinemen. It is excellent...and if you like Morphine, I highly recommend getting ahold of the disc!
    http://www.akacod.com
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    You are not alone. I have Carpenters - The Singles 1969 - 1981 in SACD and it is a great collection. Its not something I listen to everyday but Karen's voice is incredible.
    I suppose I will come out of the closet too...

I think I will give the kids their first exposure to Karen Carpenter this evening.

Anything to stop the constant bombardment of Barney and now "Elmo's World"
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

That's too funny....

That last few weeks, when my kids are doing homework, I have been playing classical music.....it isn't my favorite genre, but it seems to have a interesting effect when the kids are doing their work....less fidgeting and better concentration. I will continue it and see if it holds true.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    For fellow Morphine fans.....

A couple of years or so while looking for a particular Morphine CD, I came across a band called Twinemen that is made up of some former members of Morphine and got one of their CDs. Ofcourse, a lot of Morphine influence, and very enjoyable. They have a new CD available that I plan on getting.
    http://www.twinemen.com

But the CD I am recommending here is by A.K.A.C.O.D. Another band recently formed by former Morphine members (Dana Colley...who is also in Twinemen). I ran across their debut CD while looking for the latest from Twinemen. It is excellent...and if you like Morphine, I highly recommend getting ahold of the disc!
    http://www.akacod.com
    Curtis,

You may also enjoy Sandman's band from 80's and early 90's Treat Her Right. It's blues with an attitude. They were big in Boston - saw them in sweaty little bars.
    http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-1985...0683681&sr=1-3

Jim

Default MHD, Music: High Definition

If you have MHD, Music: High Definition there are a few performances that seem to be stuck on my DVR.

Sheryl Crow Part 1 is very good with great sound and bass that shows off the Sierras.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Part 1, great sound

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Part 2, which is apparently not Tom Petty but a collection of live performances of Cream (Eric Clapton), Logins and Messina, and the Eagles. All of which are great recordings.

Michael

Recent albums i have been enjoying with my sierras & new preamp:
    Daryl Stuermer - another side of genesis (plays guitar for them)
    Rob Thomas - solo album "Something to be"
    Mudcrutch - first debut album with tom petty
    Eagles - Long road out of eden & The very best of remastered
    Jack Johnson - curious george soundtrack(fantastic sound)

I have been enjoying my setup so much lately that I have buying older albums from artists I enjoy versus listening to the mp3 counterpart.

ahhh......the joys